feeding Chickens Black pepper

Oh and for todays update I have not fed pepper in a few days but still have already gotten 5 eggs today so far, and I have one that is due to lay today but still have not gotten an egg from her yet. Also I have 2-3 hens squaking the egg song some new layers accually. I have never heard them sing the little egg song but they were today, So it may take them a while but Im sure eggs are on their way from them too.

Quote:
Thanks for replying!
smile.png
My girls are 3+ yrs and younger and they are almost done with there molts but are in different degrees slightly, so I was just wondering what would happen if I tried this pepper thing, I think I'am going to try it but going to hold off til they are closer to or over the molt. Thanks again, Sandy
smile.png

NO problem, I do not know a lot about the science of things involving chickens yet, but The only thing I can do is tell what it is that I have done and how it turned out.

is Cayenne used for worming, if not what is a good wormer for Hens?/

They have just finished a heavy moult

Update: Just one egg today but a cold front moved in. Went from the upper 40's to the mid 20's.
They always have an excuse of why not to lay.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I read through some of the pages but decided to just post this instead.....
I think the reason that pepper works so well for increasing egg production is because it naturally increased circulation of the blood.

I was told this summer by a doctor to increase the amount of black pepper I ate to help bring my blood pressure up! she said to pepper everything I can as much as I can. and it worked. A couple weeks later I went in for another prenatal checkup and my blood pressure was a noticable amount higher than it had been.
She said pepper is sort of a stimulant for your system. she wasn't sure exactly scientificly why it worked so well but it was a secret passed to her by her grandma. I'm betting it works the same way for chickens. as winter slows down their motabolism and circulation due to the cold their egg production slows. By giving them pepper in whatever form (black, cheyeann, red, etc) you are stimulating their circulation of blood back up to their organs thus allowing higher egg production.

JM2CENTS
smile.png
Not a doctor or a vet
wink.png

Quote:
You know, that was my thought as well. A combination of increased circulation, increased body heat, and increased water intake might all free up more of the birds resources to work on egg production. I know that part of the reason for slowing production in colder weather or during moult is because they're using their resources for keeping warm or growing feathers, so this seems a fairly logical explanation for the pepper working as well.

2hot to 2 chicken and Nonny, Thats very interesting! Makes pepper sound almost good for them year round, health wise, except maybe the hottest summer days.

Back
Top Bottom