Feeding Different Age Chickens

Montana116

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
Good Morning (if this finds you in the morning lol),

I have 9 week old chickens who are out in their coop/run. Right now i have them on Starter/Grower. Obviously eventually they will be on layer feed.

I recently got some 1-2 week old chicks from TSC and am curious how to go about dealing with feeding when the new chicks should still be on grower feed while the older ones are on layer feed when they are out together a couple months in the future.

TIA!

I have 9 week old chickens who are out in their coop/run. Right now i have them on Starter/Grower. Obviously eventually they will be on layer feed.

I recently got some 1-2 week old chicks from TSC and am curious how to go about dealing with feeding when the new chicks should still be on grower feed while the older ones are on layer feed when they are out together a couple months in the future.
The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium: about three times as much as what starter/grower has. Laying hens need this much, and non-layers do not need it and can be harmed by it.

But if you give them a separate source of calcium (such as a dish of oyster shell), chickens are quite good at eating the right amount for their own needs.

So the easy thing in your situation would be to feed them all starter/grower, even after some start laying, and provide a dish of oyster shell. Put out the oyster shell when the first ones are getting close to laying age, and keep it always available after that. They will all try a few bites at first, while they decide what this is and whether they like it, but the younger ones will not eat enough to do themselves any harm.

After they are all laying, you can choose to switch to layer feed if you want, or you can just keep feeding them starter/grower with a dish of free-choice oyster shell available.

Where I say you can use starter/grower, you can also use feeds labeled "Flock Raiser" or "All Flock" or similar things. Just check the label: you want protein about 18% or higher, and calcium around 1%. The layer feeds have calcium around 4%, which is what you want to avoid when your have non-layers.

Back
Top Bottom