Feeding dog kibble to supplement protein intake?

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
Hey folks, is it a good idea to feed (soaked) dog kibble to increase your birds' protein intake? I know many flock owners use cat food, but wonder if the same principle applies. It's not something I plan to do long-term, just in this situation:

My border collie has been fed the same high-quality dog food for over a decade, but recently developed an allergy and I now have about $80 worth of feed that isn't being used. Our other dogs don't like it. My birds were on a local laying feed that I found out has *way* too little protein, so we're now dealing with no eggs (and feather picking). They're now on 16% ration, but it's going to take a couple weeks for their bodies to catch back up.

I'd switch to your hens to a 18% feed since 17% is the new minimum after you're done with the current bag but yes, they can have it in small amounts.
Can you post a picture of the dog feed nutrition label?

Will do! The 16% is the only one I can get at the moment, unfortunately. I used to mill my own feed with great results, but during COVID it was near impossible for me to source the raw grains. Things are starting to calm down enough that I can start looking into that again.

I don't have an actual label on hand, but it's on their website:
https://nutrisourcepetfoods.com/our-food/nutrisource/adult-chicken-rice/
(Scroll down to the Ingredients tab.)

Back
Top Bottom