feeding fresh bread on occasion

can feeding chickens fresh bread on occasion cause blindness?

• pros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where I live the landlords have approximately 2 cocks and 12 hens. They are daily feed grain and water. On the weekends they are let out to roam from about 10am to 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday. I occasionally feed them appropriately 5 slices of fresh bread only on Saturday and Sunday. Now 2 of the chickens have went blind and I am being blamed. I have been living here for approximately 4 months and have been feeding them for only 2 months. Is the fact that I have been occasionally feeding them the bread caused the 2 to go blind???

I have never had a blind chicken.

I have always given them stale bread as part of their treats… less than 10% of their daily diet.

Bread alone will not meet the nutritional requirements to maintain a healthy flock, but neither will corn…

Hope this helps.

Where I live the landlords have approximately 2 cocks and 12 hens. They are daily feed grain and water. On the weekends they are let out to roam from about 10am to 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday. I occasionally feed them appropriately 5 slices of fresh bread only on Saturday and Sunday. Now 2 of the chickens have went blind and I am being blamed. I have been living here for approximately 4 months and have been feeding them for only 2 months. Is the fact that I have been occasionally feeding them the bread caused the 2 to go blind???

Some causes of sudden blindness; Aspergillosis (fungal disease from crop and food spoilage, any rotting vegetables in the yard? ) , avian pox, were they just wormed with an ivermectin product? Overdoses of this can cause sudden blindness. Some types of Marek's disease can cause the eye to go grey and blind.

Back
Top Bottom