Feeding Peafowl

I am lucky that living in a rural area we do have a feed mill that custom blends our feed. I can have what I want put in it and it is cheaper than bagged store feed. The original mill we bought from had a nutritionist (they supplied a large egg facility) and he helped us develop our recipe fitting for gamebirds. When that mill shut down we took the recipe to another mill a little further away and they were happy to supply us - we order 1000# at a time. They now have several people in the area using the same mix.

I noticed Deerman, nor many others shared what feed they are giving their peafowl. I believe those of you that breed to sell and have numerous birds get feed mills to mix special feed. Those of us with only a few have no choice but what's available on the market. I had one breeder tell me he has a special feed formulated and gave me enough information I was able to call the mill. I figured I could talk them into selling me the same. They told me that particular person is purchasing plain layer pellets. Soooooooooo my question is how can layer pellets be good for male, female and growing peafowl year round? I've had other breeders tell me they feed layer pellets. Aren't they about the least expensive feed available?

Presently I'm feeding Nutrena Gamebird supplemented with UltraKibble. They get veggies, fruit ..... tomorrow each pen will get a whole cantaloupe cut in half. I read treats aren't good for them during breeding season but since there is no "Breeder Ration" feed available in my area I figure what the heck. It's fun selling the chicks but that's not my reason for having these wonderful birds. Besides it's difficult to find good homes for them anyway. I have someone emailing me now wanting emerald spaldings but won't answer my questions about their reason for purchasing them and what the living conditions would be. I spend a lot of time with my chicks and when I've raised them they are pets........extremely socialable, friendly and each with it's own personality. I'll only turn them over if circumstances are right. Do many of you feel this way or am I just crazy, LOL!!!

not that i don't want to share.....i have used many brands. i don't like pushing any brand, i find main thing is a18% to 20% grower or layer . game bird or turkey. at this time with very few birds I am feeding Dumor from TSC. myself i don't put alot into a name brand ....read label.. buying cheaper feed like scatch and trying to make up for it adding supplment just a lot of work other have done for you already...

plus when the 1st thing in the supplement is corn.....so your paying $3.00 a lb for corn, and why add more corn to a feed mix already heavy with corn.......JMO plus blended feed has what the bird needs in each bite.........noway a bird knows ok four pcs of corn three pcs of wheat and a bite of supplement is what they need.......reason most pet food is premixed.

Last edited:
I hope that this isn't off topic, but since you have so much experience with peas, deerman, I wanted to ask your opinion about feeding free ranging peas.

I guess my questions boil down to: How critical is it to feed free ranging peas?
Our gang spends most of their time foraging, eating bugs and grass and weeds and whatever else they find.
I put out millet and sunflower seeds every day, give them bread, often fruit and vegetable scraps, and keep out fresh water all the time.
My neighbors feed them too but I'm not sure how much and what.

Would the peas be ok if they were only fending for themselves? Do they really need handouts?
(I'm not planning to stop feeding them but I worry about what will happen if I'm not around).

Thank you for your thoughts (or thoughts from anyone else!) about this.

Feeding them helps keep them home. During a 10 day vacation last year we put put their rations in a deer feeder with a makeshift funnel made of clothe to keep the feed from spreading out.......instead falling into a pan.

I hope that this isn't off topic, but since you have so much experience with peas, deerman, I wanted to ask your opinion about feeding free ranging peas.

I guess my questions boil down to: How critical is it to feed free ranging peas?
Our gang spends most of their time foraging, eating bugs and grass and weeds and whatever else they find.
I put out millet and sunflower seeds every day, give them bread, often fruit and vegetable scraps, and keep out fresh water all the time.
My neighbors feed them too but I'm not sure how much and what.

Would the peas be ok if they were only fending for themselves? Do they really need handouts?
(I'm not planning to stop feeding them but I worry about what will happen if I'm not around).

Thank you for your thoughts (or thoughts from anyone else!) about this.

when i free range any , i keep feeder full 24/7.......they really don't eat that much,but its there if they need it .

Thank you very much for your responses, deerman and bdfive.

From your observations, it seems clear that keeping food available for them has various excellent functions:
1. if they know the food is there they won't wander off, and
2. they may not eat what you give them but its better for them to have food backup just in case

Sorry to be a bother, but I'm still not completely clear about whether it is necessary to give them food.
That is to say, nutritionally, do you think can they get along without it?

Maybe depending on the weather. Last summer in this area we had no rain for about 7 months. There was not even a green weed. Everything was brown, dried up, dormant. No water except in rivers and spring fed creeks/ponds but much of that had dried up too. We saw practically no bugs.....wildlife suffered. Raccoons were so skinny we wondered how they were still alive. Obviously free ranging anything had to be supplemented. A new subdivision was going in ran out some wild peafowl. 2 males showed up here hanging around our aviary. They were so hungry and thirsty. I managed to feed them into a pen, sold one ......have the other. He's a gorgeous IB mature male. Regardless of them needing nutrition I'd still see there is either edible plant life growing on your property they love or other food/snacks supplied to keep them from wondering off permanently. An example is my neighbor keeping out cat kibble for her feral cats. My birds love it. On the other side of that 5 acres a family of 6 throw out all their left overs for wildlife. 3 of my Emerald Spaldings practically moved over there. I'd have to walk over well before dark to lead them back here with a treat. I now keep them penned...I think they were eating to many flour tortillas, hahaha!!! Not the only reason. These birds fly so well I'm afraid if spooked they'll take to the sky and not find their way back home.

Right now there is an abundance for greens and bugs but my 4 free ranging peafowl still eat from the pan of gamebird feed kept available to them. A friend near by only throws chicken scratch thrown out a couple time a day for her chickens, guineas and free ranging peafowl. Barbara/Denny also have horses and llamas so the peafowl may be eating from their feed as well.

SO.......with the information supplied so far what are your intentions? I'm curious.
smile.png

Hello Deerman, first I want to say I hope you have a good day. Mine is going to be busy as usual but have had out of state family leave so now life can get back to our normal routine. Regarding feed, it's so darn difficult to find what's right around here and when you do locate some they drop the line and you're back to square one. Every time I need feed I have to call to see what's available at the time. Can't find a "breeder ration" anymore and only "grower" is 28%. I didn't know Tractor Supply carries gamebird......is it turkey you purchase from them? Are you saying the ingredients in UK is mostly corn? It's so yellow in color it makes me wonder. LOL, I've wanted to eat one to see what it tastes like but haven't conjured up the nerve, haha!!! I wish I could believe what you say about blended feed having what the bird needs in each bite. In this day and time of companies cutting back and the almighty buck being what's important in many industries I think even human food is lacking. I don't see anything wrong with mentioning a product known to be reliable and healthy for our pets/animals. I've heard Dumor is good feed. Also Sportsman Choice and we all know of Purina and Mazuri. I'm still not giving up on UK as a supplement .............will be very upset if I learn I'm giving them predominantly corn. Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should have it annualized. Anyone tasted it????????????????? Come on.....someone add a little milk and pretend it a scrumptious bowl of cereal and let us know what you think, LOL!!!
not that i don't want to share.....i have used many brands. i don't like pushing any brand, i find main thing is a18% to 20% grower or layer . game bird or turkey. at this time with very few birds I am feeding Dumor from TSC. myself i don't put alot into a name brand ....read label.. buying cheaper feed like scatch and trying to make up for it adding supplment just a lot of work other have done for you already...

plus when the 1st thing in the supplement is corn.....so your paying $3.00 a lb for corn, and why add more corn to a feed mix already heavy with corn.......JMO plus blended feed has what the bird needs in each bite.........noway a bird knows ok four pcs of corn three pcs of wheat and a bite of supplement is what they need.......reason most pet food is premixed.

yes i have fed those brands, dumor does make a feed for turkey ,pheasnts,quail.

read feed label , by law they list in order which are most 1 st and so for...even some high dollar dog food , are mostly corn.

I feed No Grain Earthborn Holistic to my dogs. As soon as I get time I'm going to put forth some exerted energy to try to make a educated choice on peafowl feed. Sure wish I could turn them all loose right now. Lots of plants growth and bugs available.........for a while anyway. Pray we don't have the summer we had last year. Happy Easter Deerman.

Back
Top Bottom