feeding sprouts, grass alternative?

I personally don't think sprouting seeds for chickens is all that worthwhile, especially with sod squares so cheaply available, not to mention the fact that they can simply forage in any grassy or weedy area and get the same benefit. If you still would rather sprout seeds, I would suggest wheat grass greens instead. You can buy 50 pound sacks of wheat berries from organic food stores and other grocery or feed supplies. There are numerous Youtube how-to's available to show you the steps. IMHO, wheat grass offers far more benefits for chickens than sprouts.

Well, that's nice if you live close to a sod farm or can free range. I have access to neither reasonably. And I was thinking of wheat anyway, but also curious about using other grains for variety sake.

I personally don't think sprouting seeds for chickens is all that worthwhile, especially with sod squares so cheaply available, not to mention the fact that they can simply forage in any grassy or weedy area and get the same benefit. If you still would rather sprout seeds, I would suggest wheat grass greens instead. You can buy 50 pound sacks of wheat berries from organic food stores and other grocery or feed supplies. There are numerous Youtube how-to's available to show you the steps. IMHO, wheat grass offers far more benefits for chickens than sprouts.
The thing about the sod is that most still have a lot of chemicals on it ( Pesticides, Fertilizers etc.)

Chris

Hello all. I read here often but have not posted much if at all. So I will jump in today. Why not. lol

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Not only inspired me with some great ideas but blessed me reading how much you all care for your chickens. Enjoy how you put out the extra effort to make your chickens happy. I especially appreciate the variety of healthy ideas.
yippiechickie.gif
I had not thought to grow flats of greens as mine are in a tractor which my husband moves once a week on our small pasture. But I really love the idea of growing Omega-3 chicken forage. Will look into finding out about purchasing seeds. We have a small greenhouse so I am envisioning a year around crop. I like the idea of flats mounted on the side of wire run to avoid them stomping & pooing on the greens.

Presently I only have 2 adult hens (Barr Rocks) so of course I do things on a mini scale. Often I gather spinach, chard and carrot tops, etc. from our organic garden and place them in a large size wire bird feeder. I can attach it to the wire run with a tiny bungee cord. This keeps their greens clean and they enjoy pecking them out. If I throw these greens on the ground they do not eat them. They just stomp on them and poo on them. I actually got this idea reading last year here at BYC. So thank you for it along with the idea of attaching a cabbage to the wire run for them to peck.

One of the favorite garden grown veggies for my hens is zucchini. I strap it on the side of their wire run and they peck away like crazy. Also I grow meal worms for them but can sprinkle them about as they quickly consume these. During August when the locust are abundant around here our grandsons love to catch them with a net and throw these in the run for the hens. They do go crazy over them.

My husband often shovels up large dandelions for them. The dirt is usually full of earthworms and grubs, etc. so they are so happy scratching through looking for goodies. The dandelion greens are very healthy for them. We avoid spraying pesticides, etc. Trying to keep our small acreage as healthy as possible for us and our pets.

Not necessarily. Check your sod suppliers for information.
y're that
There was a guy in the 1930's (I don't remember his name) who did research on chickens and eating greens. He concluded that chickens who ate greens (particularly wheat grass) actually doubled their egg production. Wheat grass in particular is beneficial to laying hens, but it needs to be greens and not sprouts. I'm not sure about sprouts, but they are so hard to germinate in such large quantities, I'm not sure if they're worth the bang for the buck. Hens are better adapted to eating whole, unsprouted grains. Keep in mind their digestive systems are more complex than ours, and they can make good food use of things we simply could not (like cellulose found in grasses). Their crops can fine-grind grains, etc.; that our system would not tolerate. If you want the best, try good grain mixtures supplemented with some kind of protein. Animal protein, preferably from insects, is actually their choice (a chicken would actually eat another chicken if it needed protein). But plant-based protein works well.
If you can free-range, by all means-do. If you can't, greens in the form of grass-clippings, sod, and wheat grass are the most practical.

My 25x55 foot run area when first introducing the chicks at 6 weeks old was a lush mixture of grass, weeds, clover and who knows what else. In 3 weeks time it is now bare dirt. The chicks peck thru the fencing to get at fresh foilage on the outside of their pen area. They are happy with feed and water and hunt for bugs withinin the pen and coop. Your project of growing more greenage will not be long lived. It will disapear as fast as you grow it. Fresh grass clippings seems to work for my girls. They eat some and scratch and play in it. It drys out quickly but can be loose raked or picked up. Hope this may help.

Yes, mine love crickets. They go crazy for them. I buy them occasionally at the pet store as a treat and diversion for my girls.

I live in a neighborhood, however, where most of the surrounding houses are abandoned. Terrible for my home's value, but great for "being left alone." My chickens have a 100 X 100 ft area, but 20 of them can still keep a lot that size pretty bare. I've resorted to taking advantage of my Bush-era ghost town and letting the flock out of the yard to forage. The surrounding area is overgrown with weeds, brush, and bugs, and they seem to really enjoy the new digs.

Another asset in my corner for the protection of my flock is our new dog, Dozer. He virtually ignores our birds and is friendly toward human visitors (unless they wear hats or hoodies, which he doesn't seem to like), but he is extremely territorial toward wandering dogs. A couple of days ago a terrier-looking stray happened to appear in the area, eye-balling my chickens. Dozer saw him and made quick work out of him, sending him yipping up the street.

Back
Top Bottom