female ducks not interested in the drake.

T
Wow... that is really interesting. Let us all know how it goes..

I have 4 females and 2 Drakes. I am having a nightmare. They are paired off.. but the drakes only want each others ''partners'' and not interested in their own but if the other male tries to mate with their pair.. they try to fight him off. It is bizarre!

That sounds typical male...wanting what they cant have! I think from your ducks perspective the flock is perfectly balanced. Partners for all, and just enough rivalry to make it interesting.

I can only give the eggs a try and see if anything hatches. :)

Good luck. I incubated Wists for about 4 seasons and they always died at about 3 weeks no matter what I did. After I got my calls suddenly bingo, ducklings. So it had to be my precious boy
1f622.png

Good luck. I incubated Wists for about 4 seasons and they always died at about 3 weeks no matter what I did. After I got my calls suddenly bingo, ducklings. So it had to be my precious boy
1f622.png

That's very sad! At least you've got your calls although I know it's not the same. I have a broody chicken at the moment and I've never tried using a broody so I'm going to slip some Welshies eggs under her. See what happens. I've looked it up on BYC and lots of people have had success doing this so I thought why not?

I admit I'm paranoid about Bean rejecting Wobbles. As it is they haven't had the best relationship, he's bitten her a few times and she's such a spaz that she's always dashing around, which I suspect is activating some sort of chase instinct 'cuz they do okay when they're both just sitting there. As the only two ducks I have, if they don't get along I don't know what I'll do.

Wow... that is really interesting. Let us all know how it goes..

I have 4 females and 2 Drakes. I am having a nightmare. They are paired off.. but the drakes only want each others ''partners'' and not interested in their own but if the other male tries to mate with their pair.. they try to fight him off. It is bizarre!

yeah, that is pretty tight.. i usually say at least 2-3 ducks per drake. MOst drakes are overly um, needy? and have no problem kicking off with one another. My big flock comprises of quite a few drakes and it can be pretty hairy here some days, most are Muscovy so when they go at it? ha you can hear the wings banging!

I have some boys here who literately have no one.. as of yet.. and others who can keep several females, others only have a few they show interest in, the dynamics are interesting to watch though it equally drives me nuts some days.

My pekin drake has 5 girls and is forever trying to steal the buff females i have..
roll.png

I admit I'm paranoid about Bean rejecting Wobbles. As it is they haven't had the best relationship, he's bitten her a few times and she's such a spaz that she's always dashing around, which I suspect is activating some sort of chase instinct 'cuz they do okay when they're both just sitting there. As the only two ducks I have, if they don't get along I don't know what I'll do.

Pairs are hard but generally i find calls are one of the few it can work with. I have 2 pairs kept together and so far they actually get on okay... my larger flock is a bit more hairy, but more are coming soon...

hope most are girls!

yeah, that is pretty tight.. i usually say at least 2-3 ducks per drake. MOst drakes are overly um, needy? and have no problem kicking off with one another. My big flock comprises of quite a few drakes and it can be pretty hairy here some days, most are Muscovy so when they go at it? ha you can hear the wings banging!

I have some boys here who literately have no one.. as of yet.. and others who can keep several females, others only have a few they show interest in, the dynamics are interesting to watch though it equally drives me nuts some days.

My pekin drake has 5 girls and is forever trying to steal the buff females i have..  :rolleyes:

I find myself sat outside just watching them sometimes. I love watching them and their dynamics. Do you have any girls that reject the boys though?

Back
Top Bottom