Fenbendazole poisoning?

Sucking up the med I to a syringe and dosing each one to the beak is the best way to ensure they each get the correct amount.

Under dosing is just the same as not even dosing them to begin with. It's actually worse, it will allow the worms to build up a resistance to the med.

Adding it to water is a bad idea because it isn't water soluble and you won't have a clue as to how much each bird gets.
How much do you give each bird? I gave my hens each about 1mL to 1.25mL, not mixed with any water, straight down the beak. They are all fine after 5 days. I gave my rooster 1.7 mL and he was fine after 1st five day treatment. I began 2nd treatment 10 days later and on 2nd day had to stop. I was going to redo after a couple of days when my helper came back. But my rooster has taken seriously ill. Just lies in place, now for 3 days straight, and his gobble is turning purple/black and his comb a bit, too. He's drinking lots of water and pooping green liquid. Don't know if he'll make it. Did I poison him?

How much do you give each bird? I gave my hens each about 1mL to 1.25mL, not mixed with any water, straight down the beak. They are all fine after 5 days. I gave my rooster 1.7 mL and he was fine after 1st five day treatment. I began 2nd treatment 10 days later and on 2nd day had to stop. I was going to redo after a couple of days when my helper came back. But my rooster has taken seriously ill. Just lies in place, now for 3 days straight, and his gobble is turning purple/black and his comb a bit, too. He's drinking lots of water and pooping green liquid. Don't know if he'll make it. Did I poison him?
Well...first you don't need to do 5-day treatment and then continue another 5-day treatment again 10 days later. That is TOO much.

I doubt you poisoned him but it's possible you squirted it down the wrong pipe which could be a problem.

Can you take a short video of him right now and upload it to YouTube?

Hey all - checking the back of safeguard fenbendazole for goats, it says to give 2.3 mL per 100 lb body weight. If that’s the case it’s really .023 mL we should be giving our chickens per pound correct? .23 mL would be given for a 10 lb chicken. Where are folks getting information that 2.3 mL should be administered per lb?

Welcome to BYC!
Hey all - checking the back of safeguard fenbendazole for goats, it says to give 2.3 mL per 100 lb body weight. If that’s the case it’s really .023 mL we should be giving our chickens per pound correct? .
The goat dose is 5 mg/kg & the chicken dose is 50 mg/kg. Here's the math:

Goat dose - 1 / 2.2 x 5 / 100 = 0.0227 ml per pound
Chicken dose - 1 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.227 ml per pound

Where are folks getting information that 2.3 mL should be administered per lb?
From veterinary textbooks and from vets.
safeguard_rx_1.jpg

From Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook

Pictures from the Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual - Fifth Edition

Roundworm

Cecal worm

Capillary worms

Gapeworm

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

The goat dose is 5 mg/kg & the chicken dose is 50 mg/kg. Here's the math:

Goat dose - 1 / 2.2 x 5 / 100 = 0.0227 ml per pound
Chicken dose - 1 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.227 ml per pound

From veterinary textbooks and from vets.
Thanks! When administered this amount is it just one time and repeat after 10 days or does it need to be done for 3-5 consecutive days?

Thanks! When administered this amount is it just one time and repeat after 10 days or does it need to be done for 3-5 consecutive days?
Giving it once and again in 10 days will treat roundworms only. Giving it for 5 consecutive days will treat those plus gapeworms, capillary or thread worms, and cecal worms.

Back
Top Bottom