FENCE HEIGHT

You can get netting but I would more likely do that to prevent aerial predation than to keep the birds in. At that size you'll need support poles or tensioned wire.

BTW poultry wire is not predator proof. Coons can reach through and snag a chicken laying against the fence. Larger predators can rip it apart.
i am putting it behind some wider strong fencing, and they will be locked in their coop at night, i really am trying to protect them from arieal predators, but i am sure the roof would discourage them! Thanks!

I've used that to keep chickens out of the garden. It isn't very strong. In fact the winter wind ripped it off the 3/4" sticks it was held up by. I replaced it with chicken wire.
Yeah we get that awful wet snow + wind here. We plan on removing it during winter months and replacing it in spring. We never free range in the winter anyway, so we won't have to worry about winter predation :)

I've used that to keep chickens out of the garden. It isn't very strong. In fact the winter wind ripped it off the 3/4" sticks it was held up by. I replaced it with chicken wire.

Yes this type of netting is flimsy and I was easily able to shred it apart by hand. It was good enough to deter my chickens from jumping over the chicken wire into my garden bed, but that's about it.

And just to clarify to OP, the height of the fence doesn't matter, if you're trying to stop hawks the run needs to be covered, whether with a roof, wire mesh or netting. 6' is a pretty convenient height for you to walk around in the run (assuming you're not 6' tall!) but when it comes to hawks without some form of cover you might as well not have a fence at all.

i was asking how high for the chickens, i am using it for the sides and netting for the top, i know netting is not the best but i am 15 and am on a budget, i am sure it is better than nothing!

i was asking how high for the chickens, i am using it for the sides and netting for the top, i know netting is not the best but i am 15 and am on a budget, i am sure it is better than nothing!
I know all about being on a budget, so it's okay. :)
I let my standard sized chickens run the farm without barriers, I only have a top on my pens.
In all honesty, hawks have claimed 2 chickens, while owls have claimed 1. My biggest killer was the neighbor's pigs, once they left, my chickens stopped vanishing.

My point is, it's okay to save money and wait to buy a better top later.
Accidents can and will happen, but none of us are exactly bleeding money. So don't panic about buying tops ASAP, save your money and get something good when you can afford it. :)

I know all about being on a budget, so it's okay. :)
I let my standard sized chickens run the farm without barriers, I only have a top on my pens.
In all honesty, hawks have claimed 2 chickens, while owls have claimed 1. My biggest killer was the neighbor's pigs, once they left, my chickens stopped vanishing.

My point is, it's okay to save money and wait to buy a better top later.
Accidents can and will happen, but none of us are exactly bleeding money. So don't panic about buying tops ASAP, save your money and get something good when you can afford it. :)
Thanks! i might just get it because hawk and eagles and falcons are a MAJOR problem here, and polish cannot see above them. it really will not be a big deal to spend money on the netting, so ill just get some as a temporary thing:D

You can run fishing line over the run to keep aerials out. It is a lot cheaper than pre-made netting sufficient to keep large hawks and eagles out. Are the fence posts strong enough to take tension? Can you attach horizontal boards at the top to tie the fishing line to?

Back
Top Bottom