Fermented Alfalfa Cubes How To

Now what I want to know is how do they get it compressed down that far? I mean sure when it was originally processed it was dried so that helped with the compression but, you sure do get a lot out of those little pellets.

Day 3 update: No more expansion, it's sitting at 3.5 cups, which looks like it will be plenty for my little flock. Plan is to feed out what I have until a small amount left, add some more alfalfa and water and keep going, aka backsloping. Current smell is pretty minimal really, still a bit alfalfa-y and sorta sour.

The more important update: I put a few small spoonfuls in a bowl, took the extra 'juice' out, topped it with a bit of feed and fed to the girls, it was a hit! They cleaned the bowl in 10 minutes. Will do a bit more tomorrow.

Day 3 update: No more expansion, it's sitting at 3.5 cups, which looks like it will be plenty for my little flock. Plan is to feed out what I have until a small amount left, add some more alfalfa and water and keep going, aka backsloping. Current smell is pretty minimal really, still a bit alfalfa-y and sorta sour.

The more important update: I put a few small spoonfuls in a bowl, took the extra 'juice' out, topped it with a bit of feed and fed to the girls, it was a hit! They cleaned the bowl in 10 minutes. Will do a bit more tomorrow.

Oh marvelous to hear. Smell the way you described it sounds right. You may notice some white stuff at the top from time to time, that is the SCOBY of course, just mix it in. A hit for the girls! That is the best news of all.
clap.gif

Last edited:
I give my 7+ week old chicks fermented feed pretty much exclusively from day one and so was curious about this. I've tried it and they're very much uninterested.

No big deal, as there's an abundance of greens now. I throw them a big cut of sod occasionally and cut and carry all kinds of greens from the landscape. Speaking which I'm disappointed that they show no interest in comfrey right now. I'm really hoping that changes as it's a great source of high protein greens and I have a bunch that I've just planted and the plants are quite productive. They've also shown little interest in mustard/kale/other brassica thinnings from the garden.

But I'll keep this in mind for later and try again. Maybe in late summer when things tend to be very dried out and the greens are sparser, and of course winter time.

I give my 7+ week old chicks fermented feed pretty much exclusively from day one and so was curious about this. I've tried it and they're very much uninterested.

No big deal, as there's an abundance of greens now. I throw them a big cut of sod occasionally and cut and carry all kinds of greens from the landscape. Speaking which I'm disappointed that they show no interest in comfrey right now. I'm really hoping that changes as it's a great source of high protein greens and I have a bunch that I've just planted and the plants are quite productive. They've also shown little interest in mustard/kale/other brassica thinnings from the garden.

But I'll keep this in mind for later and try again. Maybe in late summer when things tend to be very dried out and the greens are sparser, and of course winter time.

I have been reading and noticed reports several times lately that chicks until maybe older than ten weeks REALLY do not take to new stuff well...wait a few weeks or as you said late summer and winter! I would not consider chicks not liking fermented alfalfa as a fail...just like kids, I think they have to develop their palate
gig.gif
And this idea would apply to your other great offerings as well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom