FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

If your getting your feed/grain from a mill you get Whole Roasted Soybean (WRSB) instead of the Meal. 
The WRSB is a little lower in Protein but is much higher in Fat. (I believe it's right around 38% protein and 17% fat). My birds dont eat the meal so well but go nuts over the WRSB.
If you do get some it will have a 'Peanut Butter' smell to dot to the roasting.

Chris

Not getting it from a mill. I think what I'm getting is the crap left over after extruding the oil. With only a dozen birds, getting a lot from a mill is out of the question. Some day!

Quote:

Mill's will sell most anything by the pound, so if you only need a pound of Soybean Meal (SBM) or 4 lbs of chicken feed that's all you have to get.
The mill I use SBM is around .21 cents a pound and I beleve Whole Roasted Soybean is .31 cents a pound.

Chris

The only mill I know of around here is more than an hour's drive away. That would make that one pound of soybeans cost quite a bit with our gas prices. Eventually though I will be selling and moving to some acreage closer to one. At least that's the plan.

I was wondering what other mixes of grain people are using to ferment for their layers? I have read the thread on fermented feed in the meet chicken forum but was wondering what people do differently for the layers. I have 6 1-year olds and 4 2.5-months old. I have a little bit of 22% pellets left that I have been feeding the older ones. The little ones are eating a grower crumble (don't remember what % protein) Before I buy any more am looking for other options. I don't want to be buying 100's of pounds of feed at a time and unfortunate do not have any mills near me. What do you do about the needed calcium? Oyster shell or crushed egg shell I presume. My chickens seem to ignore them now and I was thinking of adding them to the fermented mix. Anyone do this or just serve them on the side?

We have the chance to buy some "4 Way" feed in bulk. It is corn, barley, oats and wheat mixed with molassas. Would this work to ferment? I bought some reclaimed oats and am fermenting those now for my birds to try but this 4 way is a mix that they might like. I just don't want to feed them anything they shouldn't have. Would love to get opinions on it one way or the other.

Thanks

It shouldn't be a problem. The feed I'm using now has molasses in it. You just put the UP ACV in it and let it brew a couple of days. Beekissed uses a double bucket method and uses whole grains. Up till now, I've used starter/grower for the meat birds, and starter/grower mixed with scratch with the layers. They should start laying pretty soon, after which I'll start throwing the layer pellets in with the scratch instead.

It shouldn't be a problem. The feed I'm using now has molasses in it. You just put the UP ACV in it and let it brew a couple of days. Beekissed uses a double bucket method and uses whole grains. Up till now, I've used starter/grower for the meat birds, and starter/grower mixed with scratch with the layers. They should start laying pretty soon, after which I'll start throwing the layer pellets in with the scratch instead.
thanks, I will have to get some ACV, I just started and put some plain yogurt in with the oats we are fermenting. I am going to add some brown sugar to the mix tonight. How much oats vs. starter/grower do you ferment at one time to feed? I am not fermenting their starter feed but am the oats and figured giving 75% of their feed as the starter and 25% as the fermented oats. But if fermenting the starter will help I will toss it in there as well, lol. I am only doing a small trashcan right now just to test things out. I started it last night around 7pm and it was already starting to bubble at 6am this morning!

This thread has really piqued my interest. I grew up on a small 10 acre homestead farm with my grandparents, Grandpa fed fermented feed to his hogs, & what I think was a fermented mash to our layers...I know it was a wet mash, containing ground corn, ground barley, and something else...maybe a commercial layer feed? I don't know. I just remember he had a huge plywood bin that all the dry feed was dumped in, mixed together and we had to put 5 gal buckets of it to "soak"....there was always one soaking, and one we were feeding out of...Now, I'd like to do something similar for our flock. We have a mixed flock of birds, probably numbering in the neighborhood of 160 birds of all breeds, ages & sizes...some are for egg production, others are purely for pleasure [I call them my living yard ornaments]. They free range on our two + acres, along with a couple dozen or so ducks, a half dozen geese and a double handful of Boer goats. We usually feed twice a day...in the morning when we open the coops, and again late evening before everybody goes in to roost.
My question(s) is what would you recommend for an initial start-up blend? A friend recommended feeding soaked oats to our birds. I was thinking maybe oats, scratch mix & layer feed, in equal parts.

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits. 

1. Anyone doing it? 
    Ya, I am :)
  2. How long have you been doing it?
    A few months.
  3. Your methods?
    5 gallon bucket with water; occasionally add a little ACV or whey to the mix. I keep it at an oatmeal-type consistency.
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner? 
    I combine about 1 part Flockraiser to 2 parts Game Bird Conditioner which is mostly grains.
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding? 
    Right now I am mainly using it for a bunch of chicks that I ordered (layer-type). I've been feeding this exclusively since I got them (about 6-7 weeks). I think there is less wasted feed even though right now they are still in the walking/standing in it stage. They are growing well and they Love this feed! I will eventually be switching all of my birds over to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom