FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I've been back to fermented feeds around six weeks. Currently I'm feeding an "all flock" type crumble. I have an old small trash can, kind of a small kitchen type that I use. I just pull some food out with a strainer and then throw in some more feed when I feed them. I started my ferment with whey rather than ACV this time around and I like it. I keep it in the house, in the washroom. No flies can get to it there and it's always warm and right by the back door.

Flock was molting when I started using it again and not just looking raggedy from that, but from the summer and everything combined. Even the ones that weren't molting heavily started looking better within a week. Fewer runny poos and less stink.

1. I am.
2. 2 weeks.
3. (Constantly changing) 5 gallon bucket with chicken mash, water and ACV scoop to another bucket taking lots of liquid add dry sweet 16 till the next day it is a little dryer than oatmeal consistency
4. Chicken mash made of corn, oats, poultry base. The last 4 days have been adding sweet 16 in the 2nd bucket.
5. Undecided but I think I am starting to see good result since I added the sweet 16. Not sure if the shiny feathers I am seeing today are from fermenting or sweet 16. Going to keep doing it though because I think it causes less waste and better use of what they eat even if that is sweet 16.

I just started trying this... I used wheat, oats, layer feed and a bit of scratch. Used the bucket within the bucket method.. which works great. Using unpasteurized ACV for fermenting. My ladies love it. Feed it to them in the am. They have oyster shell available, and sometimes I mix egg shells in with their treat of scratch in the afternoon. They also have their hanging feeder full of layer feed, which is available all day. I haven't been doing it long enough to see if there are any costs benefits.. but i love creating my "recipes" and feeling like I am spoiling my chickens. Husband says I take more time preparing their breakfast, then I do our dinner!!!

I have cardboard barrels Husband had at work, They are about 3 feet tall, and 2 feet across. They hold more than 75 pounds of feed, and are great for mixing. I used a 4 parts layer, 2 part wheat, 2 part oats and 1 part scratch. (in this last batch, I also added 1 part chick feed as I needed to boost my birds protein intake, but that's another thread!) The cardboard container is round, and the cover locks on so I can add everything and roll it on the floor.

I am going to experiment with the portions of everything. I am a bit hesitant to go without layer feed, which is why I am using twice as much as the grains. Any suggestions on formulas would be greatly appreciated. We have a mill very close by and I can get most grains. They also have a wild feed mix that sounded interesting. I haven't studied the ingredients yet, but description reads.... "provides a nutritious and flavorful multi-grain mix enrobed in molasses" I will have to check it out and report. Not sure how the molasses will ferment... I believe it will turn to rum.... Maybe Husband will like that for supper!
wee.gif

Upon request I am starting a thread about using fermentation to improve feed nutritive value and health benefits.

1. Anyone doing it?
  2. How long have you been doing it?
  3. Your methods?
  4. Grains/feeds used in this manner?
  5. Your overall review of this method of feeding?

1. Yup

2. Month and a half or two

3. I have a 3 gallon bucket with a pour spout, a ladle, and a plate on top to keep the bugs out (it's at an angle so there's still air exchange through the pour spout, just not so exposed). I stir it up with the ladle and scoop it in a trough, add a more water and grain when it gets a few scoops from the bottom (maybe once or twice a week).

4. I have a mix of whole oats, whole wheat, triticale, millet, flock raiser, unpopped popcorn, raw pumpkin seeds, some other goodies I'm forgetting...basically I raid a bulk food section for a variety of cheap grains and keep it mixed with some of their crumbles in a big jug for easy pouring into my bucket.

5. My girls have free access to dry crumbles in a treadle feeder, but usually fill up on the FF and foraging so I rarely have to refill the feeder. Just recently they seem less interested in the FF. It could be due to the fact that we finally got some rain so there are more bugs and greens to forage in the yard or it could be the cold, but I notice they've been eating a little more of the dry stuff as well. Overall, I go through the feed a lot slower when they have FF available (5 girls and I'm just now hitting the bottom of the bag of flockraiser I bought towards the end of July), their feathers are glossier, and their stools are a lot healthier looking. My girls aren't laying just yet so no comment on how it's affecting that.

Last edited:
Just started feeding FF Thursday and I already notice they prefer it over the dry. They seem....glowy. LOL their combs are brighter, their feathers glossier, their poop FAR less, no smell....I'm super impressed. I'm just fermenting their Blue Seal Extra Egg feed.

Okay, I've never done FF but want to get into it with a new batch of layers/roo culls I'm raising. I'm planning on just buying chick starter crumbles (it's the TSC brand, we don't have much available here) and fermenting with ACV.

What I haven't heard anyone talk about is using active sourdough to aid in the fermentation process. Would it be too much wheat for the birds? Or too little water for the sourdough to bubble properly? Anyone with any experience here? We have a lot of sourdough and I'd really like to put it to some use as we don't eat much bread.

Back
Top Bottom