FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I was going to do the pvc pipe feeder but now I'm going to return the y-joints and make the rest into troughs. Will actually save me money in the long run.

I was going to do the pvc pipe feeder but now I'm going to return the y-joints and make the rest into troughs. Will actually save me money in the long run.

My handyman used 6" boards 6' long in a V shape. And 2x4" on the end. Or cut a 10' gutter pipe in half and stabilize it on a board. That gives you 2 5' long feeders. You don't even have to put a cap on the end. Thick oatmeal never spreads.
gig.gif

Hello all
I have been using FF for about 8 months. I have a bucket with lid inside the coop. If I leave the lid ajar the flies are horrible. It's a 5 gal frosting bucket. Lid is just laying on top not snapped shut. Is that enough air?

Hello all
I have been using FF for about 8 months. I have a bucket with lid inside the coop. If I leave the lid ajar the flies are horrible. It's a 5 gal frosting bucket. Lid is just laying on top not snapped shut. Is that enough air?

Mine is in a similar container but smaller. I snap my lid down and there is still enough airflow. Mine is in the house but I live where it is very warm so temps are 80+. I've had the same bucket for 9 months.

A couple of questions, whats the best type of feeder for the fermented feed, and how does this work in the cold of winter (won't it freeze?) Got my first batch fermenting now, can't wait to see my girls eat it. They are going to be 5 weeks old tomorrow, wish I'd tried it sooner.

Nm just read the FAQ Jane posted. Thats what I get for posting then reading back a few pages. Looks like i need to make a trough or two.

I have been feeding FF by just putting a pan in the coop and refilling it when it starts getting low. There are days in the winter here I will have to shovel a trail to the coop so i want extra feed for the days it takes forever to get there. So I am planning to keep the feed warm by assembling a light bulb heater I seen on YouTube. It's for water but i see no reason I couldn't use it for FF.

I also liked that he mentioned that blocks will heat up and the chickens will gather around the heater in cold weather.

I've just recently started FF and my chickens love it!
I keep it inside and have FF in a tea pitcher with the lid loose.
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you

I got some info on fermenting oats. It's hard to do because the shell is so thick. Chris09 had it

Simple recipe -
Take a plastic container with a tight fitting lid and add the amount of oats that you will be using for one days feeding in it.
Add enough water to cover the oats about 2 inches and cover.
The next day a good bit of that water should be soaked up and you will have to add more water to cover the oats again.
Keep doing this until the oats don't soak up anymore water.
When the oats stop soaking up water it is done and is ready for feeding.
*Note - You can substitute some or all the water with apple juice. (the good stuff thats unfiltered and looks like they ground the tree up with the apples)

This is a little more complex and meant to feed a lot of birds. Also I found it on the net sometime back.

SOAKED OATS RECIPE
By Alan Butler
Use whole not rolled or crimped oats. The oats mixture does not affect the taste of the eggs nor the taste of the meat of the fowl.
Here is how I do my mix.....the oats do not smell bad and the fowl LOVE them.
1) Get a thirty two gallon PLASTIC heavy duty garbage container with a lid.
2) Into this container add the following ingredients:
1 cup of RED CELL vitamins
1 12oz (340 grams) container of the cheap brand of ground cinnamon
1 packet of vitamin / electrolyte powder
4 quarts of vegetable juice concentrate
3) Fill the container half full of water and stir all the ingredients thoroughly.
4) Add 100 lbs (45.5 Kg.) of whole recleaned Race Horse oats
5) Fill the container with water and cover.
6) after 24 hours add more water and do so everyday until the oats no longer soak it up.
I usually wait 5 to 7 days before I feed them depending on the outside temperature.
I feed a mix that has 25% oats in it. With this mix they do not smell or "go bad".
It seems to me from my experience with my fowl that the longer they soak the better the fowl love them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom