FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Linda is the oat recipe fed to them as a supplement to regular FF? Or do you feel that the vitamins added in are enough to make this balanced nutritionally?
It's meant to be fed as a "supplement" about 25% of the soaked/sour oats to 75% of there regular feed.

Linda is the oat recipe fed to them as a supplement to regular FF? Or do you feel that the vitamins added in are enough to make this balanced nutritionally?

I'm going to make a batch of oats that is fermented. I'm not using all of the above stuff but a lot. I will keep it separate. Then I'll add 25% of oats to a 5 gall pail and finish with grain and water. It's fermented already so will be ready overnight. I've been wanting to do this for a while because oats is soooooo good for the birds. 14% protein. Add in a little layer feed or other grains. I'd like to keep it 18% for my layers. You can get extra protein by mixing a little gamebird or catfish feed. Just a little to bump it up 2-3%
big_smile.png

I'm going to make a batch of oats that is fermented.  I'm not using all of the above stuff but a lot.    I will keep it separate.    Then I'll add 25% of oats to a 5 gall pail and finish with grain and water.   It's fermented already so will be ready overnight.  I've been wanting to do this for a while because oats is soooooo good for the birds.  14% protein.   Add in a little layer feed or other grains.    I'd like to keep it 18% for my layers.   You can get extra protein by mixing a little gamebird or catfish feed.  Just a little to bump it up 2-3%      :D
careful with the fish feeds, or really anything with fish meal in it. Most use ethyoxyquin as a preservative.

careful with the fish feeds, or really anything with fish meal in it. Most use ethyoxyquin as a preservative.

No,I'm not using fish meal. I'm using catfish feed. What you feed them.

Ingredients:
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, animal Protein Products, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Chloride, Zinc Oxide.

Linda,
That's something like I used to used before I switched to a "Aquatic Carnivore Blend Diet".

Ingredients:
Fish meal (menhaden), soybean meal, spray dried porcine blood cells, ground wheat, fish oil (menhaden), dried egg product, salt, dicalcium phosphate, carrageenan, Primalac (Lactobacillus cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifido bacterium bifidium, Enterococcus faecium, rice mill, calcium carbonate), Betaine (a chemo attractant for fish), lecithin, brewers dried yeast, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), ascorbic acid, citric acid, rosemary extract, choline chloride, manganese sulfate, niacin, d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (natural source of vitamin E), vitamin B12 supplement, cobalt carbonate, calcium pantothenate, dl-methionine, zinc proteinate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, manganese ptoreinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, canthaxanthin, tribasic copper chloride, copper proteinate, folic acid, calcium carbonate, marigold extract, vitamin A acetate, palnt protein products, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, biotin, cobalt proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein not less than
Crude fat not less than
Crude fiber not more than
47%
9.0%
6.0%​

Last edited:
Linda,
That's something like I used to used before I switched to a "Aquatic Carnivore Blend Diet".

Ingredients:
Fish meal (menhaden), soybean meal, spray dried porcine blood cells, ground wheat, fish oil (menhaden), dried egg product, salt, dicalcium phosphate, carrageenan, Primalac (Lactobacillus cultures: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifido bacterium bifidium, Enterococcus faecium, rice mill, calcium carbonate), Betaine (a chemo attractant for fish), lecithin, brewers dried yeast, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), ascorbic acid, citric acid, rosemary extract, choline chloride, manganese sulfate, niacin, d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (natural source of vitamin E), vitamin B12 supplement, cobalt carbonate, calcium pantothenate, dl-methionine, zinc proteinate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, manganese ptoreinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, canthaxanthin, tribasic copper chloride, copper proteinate, folic acid, calcium carbonate, marigold extract, vitamin A acetate, palnt protein products, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, biotin, cobalt proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein not less than
Crude fat not less than
Crude fiber not more than
47%
9.0%
6.0%​

Wow, it does look good. But about 5 times more than mine.
lau.gif

I get it for about 37.00 a 40 pound bag (a lot less that what the sight sells it for), but it is well worth it.
Fish Meal alone runs about 80.00 a 50# around here

What are you using,Sportsman's choice? Runs around 17.00 for 40#?

Last edited:
There is a hardware/farm store in town that deals with Purina/Land-O-Lakes/Mazuri feed and I get it and the "Exotic Gamebird Breeder" that I use in my mix there and they are custom order. I get my Oats, Corn and Pigeon mix at the local mill.

Last edited:
Finally got to the point where I had to start all over.

I moved the FF out of the house and under the carport a week or two ago. It's been a bit of a battle. Heat would dry it out if left uncovered and it would get flies. Cover it up with a metal plate and the smell would almost knock you over when opening it. Finally got an actual lid that fit and just laid it on the top, hoping to keep out flies, keep in moisture, and still allow some air flow. Not sure how that worked since it didn't last 24 hours before the dog pulled it off and made a chew toy out of it.

But, all that being said, the odor of the FF was getting to be too much for me. I have no real problem with the sour odor. But I started getting notes of vomit and poop. Might not be accurate, but it was awful, and I just couldn't deal with it. So, I only mixed up a small amount with backslopping and I got a new ferment started inside. Yesterday I finished off all of the outside FF. My inside new FF had been going for a few days and was fermenting nicely, so I added a bit more feed to get it thicker and tonight I will start using it.

Not sure if there was a problem or if the outside batch just fermented too much or if the outside batch was actually just fine and only offensive to humans.

Back
Top Bottom