FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Happy day for me! The flock has been able to be fed outside for the past 2 days, as the day time temp has gotten up above 32*! Spring is surely on the way!
This made me LOL lazy gardener! Spring.... in a few more months
gig.gif

It's 30* here and my flock are acting the same way....SPRING!!! The snow melted down to 3-4 in. and so now easily navigated by them...they are out and about looking for signs of grass. Won't be long until they find it under the glider and go to town on it. Anything that gets them out of that coop and they are happy campers.

I think mine are just ansty to get out and about before the next storm hits. They're being extremely naughty lately lol ;)

They've been cooped up all winter and as soon as it hits 40, they're like teenagers with new drivers licenses going every direction ;)

It's been in the 40s and supposed to hit 50 tomorrow, absolutely gorgeous weather for Colorado in January; my FF hasn't even been freezing!

But, knowing Colorado, we've got a couple big doozies coming up and they know it; they will dust bathe with no abandon the day before a storm, and are frantic to find any green goodie uncovered before the next snow...

I am so ready for spring; somebody seriously, knock out that giant rodent over in Pennsylvania lol ;)

Last edited:
Moving into the same weather as you here in WV, so the chickens are out making hay while the sun shines. Saw them out in the woods just going for broke today. A lot of the snow melted off this evening and tomorrow should take care of the rest. I'll take it! I need to haul some wood chips, move some leaves to the orchard, tweak my breeding pen~big time, fetch some loose straw I can get for free, and do some major cleaning out and cleaning up of a few storage areas.

I had stopped feeding fermented because I only had two chickens and it was actually kind of a pain in the butt. But now that I have six I think it will actually be easier. I started a new batch tonight so in a few days we'll see if the new ones like it. They are about 15 to 20 weeks old.

This week I found a mill/feed store about 40 mins from me that mixes their own feed and I can buy it at $8.05 per 50# bag. So my sisterinlaw and I took the little roadtrip and bought us some chicken feed. It is a lot finer then what I had been getting at TSC, I have only ever bought at TSC so I do not know how other feeds are. But it's a little less then half the price, so I had to try it out. Yesterday when we got home with it I went straight out to the shed to start a batch of FF as my other was getting low. It does not suck up the water like my other feed did. I was using Purina Flock Raiser. When I stir it around it bubbles then it seems like some of the water just rises back to the top. I don't know if I used to much water, but I did it the same as always. I put equal amounts feed/water. Usually with the other feed I end up having to add a little more water. Is this ok? I have read on here where some people talk about straining their FF is this maybe why? My other made sorta a paste, and I just adjusted the water to get the thickness I liked. Thanks

Different feeds or grinds have a different absorption rate and ability. Chick starter makes a paste for me but my regular layer from the mill just stays pretty much like granola cereal that's soaked up all the milk it can. You might just want to adjust the amount of water you use accordingly until you get the consistency you want.

I read a ratio of 1:1 was being used, helps to start that way & adjust as you go. Finishing up Chick Starter; started end of Oct 2015; think I got few more days of feed (CS) left. Got 2RIRs & 2EEs @ 2wks, they're now 16wks and I love the benefits of FF - no feed waste, less poop, firmer poop & less stinky. I was told to put them on Multi Purpose, since they're short of being 18wks, supplementing with Oyster Shells when they're 18wks until the bag is done, then switch to Egg Maker. I was hoping the CS would last until they made 18wks :( Know I'm short "only" a week but have read NOT start EM until they're 18wks. (just 2 wks away).

Am I on the right track or should I switch them to Egg Maker when I run out to the Chick Starter which will probably be this weekend?

would molasses cause problems in FF? i would like to add some hi grain sweet feed to my FF as something different for one batch...i give sweet feed just as a treat like scratch and they really like it and if the molasses would react weird in FF i'd like to add some to it

also when feeding chicks FF how do you do that...like you have to change it out through out the day or just feed them a couple times a day and i'm wondering how much FF chicks should get at a time know it depends on how many and what age the chicks are but i'd like to have some amount to start with as i have 21 chicks that'll be here in about 8 days and i'd like to start them on FF asap

Back
Top Bottom