FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I read a ratio of 1:1 was being used, helps to start that way & adjust as you go. Finishing up Chick Starter; started end of Oct 2015; think I got few more days of feed (CS) left. Got 2RIRs & 2EEs @ 2wks, they're now 16wks and I love the benefits of FF - no feed waste, less poop, firmer poop & less stinky. I was told to put them on Multi Purpose, since they're short of being 18wks, supplementing with Oyster Shells when they're 18wks until the bag is done, then switch to Egg Maker. I was hoping the CS would last until they made 18wks :( Know I'm short "only" a week but have read NOT start EM until they're 18wks. (just 2 wks away).

Am I on the right track or should I switch them to Egg Maker when I run out to the Chick Starter which will probably be this weekend?
Safer to wait until they are actually laying eggs, or maybe 20+ weeks old. You can use the multi purpose any time and when they are laying supplement with oyster shells. In fact, I just switched back to a grower feed for the higher protein for winter.

This week I found a mill/feed store about 40 mins from me that mixes their own feed and I can buy it at $8.05 per 50# bag. So my sisterinlaw and I took the little roadtrip and bought us some chicken feed. It is a lot finer then what I had been getting at TSC, I have only ever bought at TSC so I do not know how other feeds are. But it's a little less then half the price, so I had to try it out. Yesterday when we got home with it I went straight out to the shed to start a batch of FF as my other was getting low. It does not suck up the water like my other feed did. I was using Purina Flock Raiser. When I stir it around it bubbles then it seems like some of the water just rises back to the top. I don't know if I used to much water, but I did it the same as always. I put equal amounts feed/water. Usually with the other feed I end up having to add a little more water. Is this ok? I have read on here where some people talk about straining their FF is this maybe why? My other made sorta a paste, and I just adjusted the water to get the thickness I liked. Thanks
Is the new feed in the same form.... crumble, pellet, crushed grains....as the old feed?

I'd compare the nutrient values(especially protein) between the two feeds, by reading the fine print on the label sewn into bottom of bag....
......then calculate the gas money you spent on an hour+ drive...
to calculate your true 'savings'.

Is the new feed in the same form.... crumble, pellet, crushed grains....as the old feed?

I'd compare the nutrient values(especially protein) between the two feeds, by reading the fine print on the label sewn into bottom of bag....
......then calculate the gas money you spent on an hour+ drive...
to calculate your true 'savings'.

I would say this is more of a crushed grain. What I was getting is a crumble. I will definitely compare the labels as soon as the rain lets up around here. Thanks for your advise.

Beekissed wow your chickens walk right thru it... Mine might but they stand back and let Hubby Daddy clear them a path. Candied spoiled bunch.. LOL
I hate snow and cold with a passion
just chiming in yall

Last edited:
would molasses cause problems in FF? i would like to add some hi grain sweet feed to my FF as something different for one batch...i give sweet feed just as a treat like scratch and they really like it and if the molasses would react weird in FF i'd like to add some to it

also when feeding chicks FF how do you do that...like you have to change it out through out the day or just feed them a couple times a day and i'm wondering how much FF chicks should get at a time know it depends on how many and what age the chicks are but i'd like to have some amount to start with as i have 21 chicks that'll be here in about 8 days and i'd like to start them on FF asap
I start chicks on FF right away. I put out a plop on a piece of cardboard to start, then switch up to appropriate containers as they grow. The important thing is to be sure that you don't use a container that they could get trampled or drown in. When their plop is gone, I just give them an other one. When their container is empty, I give them more.

I always think, what's the simplest thing to do or "what would their mama do? (Or what would beekissed do? Haha) If they were free range and wild, they'd be eating pretty "advanced" stuff right away. If I let a hen brood babies, they'd be members of the flock and would just eat along with everyone else. So they get switched to layer feed when they go in with the rest of the flock. That's usually around 6-8 weeks here. I had someone at TSC tell me I "couldn't give a chicken under the age of 6 months anything but starter or grower because of their delicate digestive system." I looked at her like she had two heads because I've seen them eat beetles as soon as they could catch them. Table scraps, scratching through the compost pile, and grazing free range, if they have such a delicate system and will keel over on layer, then I guess they just don't have enough gumption to survive on this farm. I'm not separating pens and building special feeders to segregate the feed because there are new babies. I'll look after like a mother hen if they are getting bullied from the feed bowls, but that's all the help they get from me. I ferment their feed while they are in the brooder feathering out for the current climate and let them at it. I even brood without any heat lamps of I can help it. They certainly aren't as delicate creatures as some treat them. Personal preference for a lot of chicken keeping from what I understand. Of course, I also don't have hundreds of dollars in breeding a pairs of rare breeds, just building a mixed flock of layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom