FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

thanks for the video though...Wow looks pasty. I guess if that is all they get that all they know. but I do know mine like the fermente grains or "grasses" seeds better.you know milo, millet, buckwheat ,peas, quoina,,,, occ little wheat
also why not use foodsafe plastic...? I try to use glass mostly. Just like for myself...
I defintely like your fermenting stuff for yourself.....though...
sure Cant buy a soy free feed around here.....Dont yall know lots of soy crap growing in farm field.s..everywhere. wonder who thought it up to eat? prob a money hungry CORPORATION
I just wonder what the real purpose of soy is from nature? just like Canola is rapeseed.....hum. all in the name of greed...
just a saying

Ladyearth you make a good point as I only use glass myself. I need to look into some foodsafe plastic buckets now that you mention it. I also mix the ferment with foods scraps i.e. burger, steaks, potatoes (peeled) green beans, etc so it's not just a bowl of gruel for them. My wife has access to buckets full of the stuff.

Now that I think of it these buckets I am fairly sure are all food safe buckets as their original use was transportation of food within the food and beverage industry.

Yes I do not eat soy or anything fed soy too. In my opinion the phytoestrogens are a bad idea and when you start combining that with all the xenoestrogens and sugars in the diet it becomes a cancer timebomb for many. I think most would be better off spending their time and effort into making the necessary changes in diet/lifestyle etc and advising others to do the same as opposed to marching around with a pink ribbon on. Although I think the intentions are very well meant the energies involved could probably be put to more productive use.

Last edited:
]
I might be able to find a little bit of dirt with some grass attached :) with this type of feeder work with fermented feed, it seems like they would get their heads stuck. But maybe I'm just being a worry wart

My 3 week old chicks are still eating out of a feeder that looks just like this one, and they dont get their heads stuck... I was skeptical to at first but it seems to work pretty well, plus its cheap abd easy to clean. When my last group got to big and did eventually start having trouble getting their heads in, i just took the cover off. And sometines i keep it off for really young and weak chicks for a coupke days to make access easier. Little guys have to perch on the lip in order to get their heads all the way down in, abd if theyve had a rough trip or whatever sonetines they dont have the strength or balance.

Im a big fan of supplying some sod/dirt to the chicks starting on day one. Because of the way they forage and feed naturally, chickens are supposed to ingest small amounts of the native soil. Id swear it really helps with pasty butt (and it contains healthy microbes as well as grit and minerals). i usually just sprinkle a little on top of their feed when i fill the tray.

I prefer not to eat soy myself either (except occassionally in certain traditional preaparations when its cultured to make it safer, like tamari and miso and tempeh). Its definitely not so good, and it really bugs me to see it promoted as a "health food". I have mixed feelings about its use for animal feed tho: on the one hand, its probably not so ideal for them either, but on the other hand we have to feed SOMETHING, and soy is readily available, happens to be cheap, and has a long history of animal feed use. Also, most chickens and hogs and such being raised for meat (or eggs) dont live for decades, so many of the harmful cumulative effects might never become as big an issue as they would over a human lifetime. maybe if you are breeding animals, the hormone disrupting effects would be a bigger issue, but i couldnt say...

Frankly tho, i cant help but think that there are bigger issues at stake in this world--for example the toxic effects of chemical agriculture on the environment and the feed supply (on us and our chickens). For instance, some of the pesticides used on those field crops areactually more dangerous to birds than they areto humans. Also, some pesticidal chemicals can bioaccumulate their way through the chickens on to your plate (whereas phytotoxins in soy do not). So on balance, Id be more inclined to worry about the harm from feeding non organically grown feed than feed containing OG soy, honestly...

Triplepurpose I can understand your point. It all depends on how far wants to take their personal health when it comes to soy. I am a competitive strength athlete and at 53 I have not been to a doctor in 31 years. For me it's worth the price to be completely soyfree. There are dozens and dozens of studies out there but as you have stated maybe for some the big stuff should be their main concern.

This is from the Weston A Price Foundation.
In a 2001 article in Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry,1 researchers from the Food Research and Development Laboratories of the Honen Corporation, of Shizuoka, Japan, fed hens a diet containing a high concentration of soy isoflavones, then measured the isoflavones in plasma and egg yolk. Over an 18-day period, the concentration of isoflavones peaked on the 12th day with isoflavone levels in the egg yolk at 65.29 ug/100 g. This value remained constant throughout the rest of the experiment.

Triplepurpose I can understand your point. It all depends on how far wants to take their personal health when it comes to soy. I am a competitive strength athlete and at 53 I have not been to a doctor in 31 years. For me it's worth the price to be completely soyfree. There are dozens and dozens of studies out there but as you have stated maybe for some the big stuff should be their main concern.

This is from the Weston A Price Foundation.
[COLOR=555555]In a 2001 article in Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry,1 researchers from the Food Research and Development Laboratories of the Honen Corporation, of Shizuoka, Japan, fed hens a diet containing a high concentration of soy isoflavones, then measured the isoflavones in plasma and egg yolk.  Over an 18-day period, the concentration of isoflavones peaked on the 12th day with isoflavone levels in the egg yolk at 65.29 ug/100 g.  This value remained constant throughout the rest of the experiment.[/COLOR]

Hmm, well im certainly not an ecpert in this area, just sharing a thought. And, that does give me more pause for thought now. Price Foundation is usually pretty on top of things...

We often buy soy-free feed from the local place (its modesto mills). It is more expensive, but i believe its a better quality feed anyway. Since its not the sole ration for our flock (we feed mixed with homegrown roots and other carbs in FF mash, plus greens, scraps, fallen fruit, etc) i feel the expense is easier to justify. But now costco is selling OG feed for 40 percent cheaper, sadly... :(

Now, regarding that feeding study--Id be curious though to learn how the fermentation process in FF affected the isoflavone levels (or other properties of the soy component).

Quote:

I will still stick with soy free but you make an excellent point triplep..............fermentation might indeed make the soy safer. I eat a lot of eggs about a dozen a day for the last 15-20 years and very often more so I am a bit more particular due to the quantity. There is a market for soy free eggs and I'm sure it will become bigger as more learn of the possible dangers of soy.

Quote:
I will still stick with soy free but you make an excellent point triplep..............fermentation might indeed make the soy safer. I eat a lot of eggs about a dozen a day for the last 15-20 years and very often more so I am a bit more particular due to the quantity. There is a market for soy free eggs and I'm sure it will become bigger as more learn of the possible dangers of soy.
ep.gif
Really?!?!?

Let's see, that's somewhere between 660 and 960 calories... Not a huge amount, and eggs do give you a lot of good stuff along with the raw calories. If boiled, you carry them about with no refrigeration or special packaging, which is a good quality in a snack.

Back
Top Bottom