FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I buy cheap porcelain plates and shallow bowls at the dollar store. They are heavy enough the birds can't tip them and wash up easily.

I use a metal trough type feeder. Looks like a gutter. I don't ferment in metal but I figured feeding is fine. Within 15 minutes it's all gone anyway!
1f44d-1f3fb.png

I have 25 chickens every morning I put 8 cups of pellets and 2 cups of scratch grains in a bucket and cover with water and feed this to them the next morning. It fills 3 plastic serving bowls. And by the end of most day it is gone. I use to buy 100 pounds every 2 weeks or so and the same 100 pounds is now lasting almost 4.It is working good for me except I'm not sure how close to ferment I get. also, I am not sure how I am going to continue it in the winter months may have to go back to pellets for a few months.

I have 25 chickens every morning I put 8 cups of pellets and 2 cups of scratch grains in a bucket and cover with water and feed this to them the next morning. It fills 3 plastic serving bowls. And by the end of most day it is gone. I use to buy 100 pounds every 2 weeks or so and the same 100 pounds is now lasting almost 4.It is working good for me except I'm not sure how close to ferment I get. also, I am not sure how I am going to continue it in the winter months may have to go back to pellets for a few months.

Winter doesn't matter. You could use a 5 gallon bucket and do it indoors. Let it sit and stir it daily for three days and by then it should be fermented then you can dish out what you need and then put more food and water in it and that new stuff will ferment by the next morning. Because you already have some fermented stuff in there.

This might be a silly request, but would some of you mind posting pics of what type of dish/feeder you use to "serve" fermented feed to your chickens? I know not to put it in a metal feeder, and I assume it's best fed fresh each day and not a self-dispensing type like you would regular feed.

ooohhhhh what is wrong with a metal feeder? thats what i use

Crs1, do you find that your dominant girls are hogging the scratch grains? I recently bought a 50# bag of feed that is pellets mixed with whole grains and I can't wait to finish with it - the top girls slurp up the grains and leave the pellet ferment for the others. I'm worried their diet is unbalanced. I'll go back to feeding fermented crumbles or pellets and scattering fermented grains separately.

Back
Top Bottom