FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Thank you so much for the advice and input! I am new to all of this. My chicks are 4 weeks old. I gave them a small amount in a shallow lid, and they just picked at it. They're so funny the way they look at unfamiliar things at first, as if I'd just placed an alien from outer space in their midst. Ha! Cracks me up. Anyway, maybe it's a little too soupy, so I'll try draining it more. Thank you!
All of my chickens ended up with crusty food knots on their chins from having it too soupy. They were probably pulled off by the other chickens because now some of my older ones don't have feathers on their chins where they should. At suggestion, I mixed thicker and my now 6 week old chicks aren't having the same issue as previous broods. You can always just add a little more crumble to thicken. I used to keep it with water higher in the mix pot, but draining was too labor intensive. Thicker mixing is the way to go, and I've never had a problem with mold.

Chicks are funny how they look at new stuff as alien.
smile.png

Incidentally, you don't have to use spring water. Tap may slow the process just a bit while it gasses off the chlorine.... but many ferment with it all day, every day with no problem. Even though tap water may not be ideal, it is regulated and bottled isn't.
hu.gif
Just mentioning it because the costs of chicken keeping can add up fast. I do realize some people live where the water isn't safe or is just gross.

Welcome to fermenting! I think it's great and recommend it to anyone who has the time, energy, & chickens.
thumbsup.gif

I'm trying to find the link to the the basics of fermenting feed, but can't seem to find it now. I put chick starter and spring water in a jar - thin oatmeal consistency. I've left it on the counter, stirred it once or twice daily, and now it has a bunch of small white bubbles on the top. Smells earthy. :) This is day 4... I can feed it now, right? Thanks!

Never mind, I found the link! thanks!
smile.png
Is this the link you are using?

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Right, so apparently one of the proprietary ingredients in Feather Fixer is sulfur or sulfur-containing amino acids. Switched out AllFlock for it in my ferment since I'm having a soft molt right now and OMG it reeks! They don't mind one bit, but I am sure hoping that they get through the molt before I have to bring my buckets inside due to cooler temps.

Right, so apparently one of the proprietary ingredients in Feather Fixer is sulfur or sulfur-containing amino acids. Switched out AllFlock for it in my ferment since I'm having a soft molt right now and OMG it reeks! They don't mind one bit, but I am sure hoping that they get through the molt before I have to bring my buckets inside due to cooler temps.
LOL ...ewwww!
I see they don't advertise/market the proprietary mite repellent aspect of the FF anymore.
'Proprietary' often means.....we won't tell you cause it's so simple you could do it yourself.

Oh, just realized it's the AF that stinks...not the sulfur containing FF?

LOL ...ewwww!
I see they don't advertise/market the proprietary mite repellent aspect of the FF anymore.
'Proprietary' often means.....we won't tell you cause it's so simple you could do it yourself.

Oh, just realized it's the AF that stinks...not the sulfur containing FF?

Oh it is most definitely the Feather Fixer! Interesting about the mite repellency...I add sulfur to my dust bath mix for that reason.

Quote: Oh, OK..sometimes my reading comprehension gets skewed.
When FF first came out....IIRC......it was all about the mite repellent.....they marketed that part hard, plus the 'fixer' part. SHM.
But that aspect appears to be gone.....there was a discussion here somewhere about it not too long ago.

Oh, OK..sometimes my reading comprehension gets skewed.
When FF first came out....IIRC......it was all about the mite repellent.....they marketed that part hard, plus the 'fixer' part. SHM.
But that aspect appears to be gone.....there was a discussion here somewhere about it not too long ago.

My sentence structure could use some tweaking. :)

I wonder if it didn't work as well as they hoped so they had to switch tactics?

So this is my first mix. I may have the container too full. I put it in the shower in case it over flows when it starts to bubble. Will feed some out if that happens. A little over a gallon container 1" from the top.

Back
Top Bottom