FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I bought a 50# bag of whole oats. The triple washed kind for racehorses. I was going to sprout them in add to ff. What a wretched experiment that was. They won't touch them even after soaking 48 hr and fermenting. I bought a hand crank grinder. Will grinding them up and adding to ff work? Or grind and throw out like scratch? Same thing with whole corn. Won't eat them whole so I guess I'll be agrinding.
lau.gif
Linda, I bought a 50# bag of steamed oats to add to my ff. The stuff is at least 50% outer shells of the oats and the chickens don't eat it but pick out the good stuff. Is there any nutritional value in the hulls or are they pure cellulose? I will grind the stuff up before adding it to the ff if it has anything nutritive to it. What do you think? Is there a better kind of oats? This was all my feed store carried. : )

Quote: I can just picture it! But I wouldn't dare. I'd eat "the whole thing"!! Who can resist the aroma of fresh baked bread. I can just smell it! Hot, and with lots of real butter! Oh yeah! Ummmmmmmmm On second thought, I think I'll check out that bread maker I got from an estate sale for pennies last year..........

Linda, I bought a 50# bag of steamed oats to add to my ff. The stuff is at least 50% outer shells of the oats and the chickens don't eat it but pick out the good stuff. Is there any nutritional value in the hulls or are they pure cellulose? I will grind the stuff up before adding it to the ff if it has anything nutritive to it. What do you think? Is there a better kind of oats? This was all my feed store carried. : )

I have been searching for different ways to do it and I came across this site. Very interesting ideas. It's fermented in a lot of water for a week and stirred daily.
lau.gif
But good info.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/poultry/478344-there-trick-feeding-oats.html

That's something to add to your bucket list......making bread is so elemental and soothing, not to mention tasting better than anything you could possibly buy from any deli out there. Just kneading the bread seems to connect me down through the ages with women all over the world...bread is pretty much world wide and is made pretty much the same way the world over. Hands, flour/meal, water, salt, etc. I grew up watching my mother make bread and also my grandmother, as they watched their own mothers....there is just something as old as time in the whole process.

Oh, don't miss out on that experience!
smile.png

Agree so many times over - making bread from scratch (and no using a bread machine - that's cheating, lol) is one of my most favorite things to do - and both my kids are getting into it now too. Kneading is therapeutic!

I can just picture it! But I wouldn't dare. I'd eat "the whole thing"!! Who can resist the aroma of fresh baked bread. I can just smell it! Hot, and with lots of real butter! Oh yeah! Ummmmmmmmm On second thought, I think I'll check out that bread maker I got from an estate sale for pennies last year..........

No, honey...you'll ruin the experience! Gotta do it by hand!
big_smile.png
And what you don't eat, you can freeze for later. We make a big batch of bread, form it into flat rolls and bake them on a cookie sheet or clay sheet, then bag them up for the freezer, leaving one bag out for immediate use. I make them big enough for a small sandwich or for toasting. Rarely ever make it into loaves anymore...get dry too fast and too many crumbs wasted when slicing.

Agree so many times over - making bread from scratch (and no using a bread machine - that's cheating, lol) is one of my most favorite things to do - and both my kids are getting into it now too. Kneading is therapeutic!

I agree...a machine is cheating and it has no real connection with any actual bread "making". That's like putting your linens in a machine, adding a dryer sheet and pressing a button to get that line dried smell and freshness...ain't gonna happen. I can tell machine made bread from handmade bread in an instant.

My boys were all instructed in making bread and make it even better than me sometimes. I would keep note on who was using most of the bread and they were elected to make the bread next time...sure does cut down on wasting bread and making 4 sandwiches at once if you have to make the bread yourself!
gig.gif

??? Does the more acidic gut of FF chickens have any effect on salmonella (particularly the current strains from Mt. Healthy chickens this year and included in the current brouhaha)??

I believe we've posted links to research that says yes.

Also, feeding some alfalfa will help reduce salmonella and E. coli ... cuz it ferments in the gut. So I say toss a bit into the FF ... though some feed already contains alfalfa.

Also, feeding yeast products, the livestock versions, is supposed to help reduce reduce E. coli and salmonella ... if you believe the marketing research for the companies that make the stuff.

I have been trying to make bread and have been frustrated by many things. Post your recipes please.
Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
Preparation:

1. In large bowl, add the warm water. Slowly stir in dry yeast. Continue to stir until yeast is dissolved.
  2. Add salt, sugar, shortening, and milk to bowl. Stir.
  3. Mix in the first 2 cups of flour.
  4. If needed, begin adding more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
  5. You do not need to use up all the flour called for in this recipe, or you may need more flour than called for. The amounts vary depending on many factors, including weather, which is why most bread recipes only give an approximate amount of flour needed.
  6. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
  7. Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
  8. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead.
  9. Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
  10. Form dough into loaf and set in buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
  11. Score dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
  12. Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or clean dishtowel.

I believe we've posted links to research that says yes.

Also, feeding some alfalfa will help reduce salmonella and E. coli ... cuz it ferments in the gut. So I say toss a bit into the FF ... though some feed already contains alfalfa.

Also, feeding yeast products, the livestock versions, is supposed to help reduce reduce E. coli and salmonella ... if you believe the marketing research for the companies that make the stuff.

I thought so, but couldn't find the specific ones, lol. This "cull your whole flock" stuff is getting people freaked out. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom