FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Just thought some of you might like to know that in SW La. it is so hot and humid that I have stopped fermenting until it gets a little cooler and the flies aren't sooo bad...that stuff stinks like crazy and my flock seems happier eating grass, bugs and other goodies from the pasture. They really loved it at first but now, nature must be better! I did get blessed with 5-6 sacks of wheat from a friend who raises it so...
woot.gif
I will be ready for later!!!

Well, I have FINALLY made it all the way through this thread!
wee.gif
I found Tikijane's blog post about fermenting feed about a week ago. I began fermenting after reading the beginning of this thread and hearing about the benefits. My chickens love it!
yesss.gif
I feed about 15 chickens 6 cups a day, which seems to be enough for now with the free-ranging they are getting. Now that I've got the fermenting part down, it's time to build some troughs out of scrap wood we've got! Thanks to everyone who has been tirelessly sharing their knowledge and helping others out. My chickens from South Texas thank you!
hugs.gif

Well, I have FINALLY made it all the way through this thread!
wee.gif
I found Tikijane's blog post about fermenting feed about a week ago. I began fermenting after reading the beginning of this thread and hearing about the benefits. My chickens love it!
yesss.gif
I feed about 15 chickens 6 cups a day, which seems to be enough for now with the free-ranging they are getting. Now that I've got the fermenting part down, it's time to build some troughs out of scrap wood we've got! Thanks to everyone who has been tirelessly sharing their knowledge and helping others out. My chickens from South Texas thank you!
hugs.gif

Awwww! That's so sweet! I love posts like these! That was some task reading through the entire thread. Thanks for acknowledging all the work so many have poured into this topic.

Just thought some of you might like to know that in SW La. it is so hot and humid that I have stopped fermenting until it gets a little cooler and the flies aren't sooo bad...that stuff stinks like crazy and my flock seems happier eating grass, bugs and other goodies from the pasture. They really loved it at first but now, nature must be better! I did get blessed with 5-6 sacks of wheat from a friend who raises it so...
woot.gif
I will be ready for later!!!

I've had to resort to keeping mine in the fridge for a few days at a time, then out for a day or two, then back in. It has been hovering about 115+ for the past few weeks and even the other night I think my low was only 93. Poor girls are ready for a break in the weather but none that we can see for a while yet.

I've had to resort to keeping mine in the fridge for a few days at a time, then out for a day or two, then back in. It has been hovering about 115+ for the past few weeks and even the other night I think my low was only 93. Poor girls are ready for a break in the weather but none that we can see for a while yet.
oh my goodness bless your and your chicken hearts! Man kind that's HOT!
sad.png

So, question about keeping FF in the fridge... I have a small-ish tub of FF (I only have 7 girls, and they free range all day), and we're getting ready to go out of town for a couple days. Would keeping it in the fridge while we're gone be preferential to leaving it out on the kitchen counter for two days without stirring?

Thanks for all your expert advice! This thread has been a wealth of information!

So, question about keeping FF in the fridge... I have a small-ish tub of FF (I only have 7 girls, and they free range all day), and we're getting ready to go out of town for a couple days. Would keeping it in the fridge while we're gone be preferential to leaving it out on the kitchen counter for two days without stirring?

Thanks for all your expert advice! This thread has been a wealth of information!
When it wasn't so hot I left mine on the counter for several days when we were gone. I didn't instruct my babysitters to stir it. I guess it depends how warm your house is. Do you keep it fairly dry or water over the top? If it's wet you can just have them stir before feeding out.

Back
Top Bottom