FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I have a question about how much to feed my chickens. I have six hens and it seems like no matter how much FF I give them they want more. How much should I be expecting to feed them per day? They free range psalm but the grass and weeds are growing much yet. I've read on here that chickens will not over eat but I'm seriously wondering if mine are doing that. I am sure not seen much of a reduction in feed I don't think. So any basic guidelines would be appreciated as to how much I should feed them per day. Thank you.

We raise wyandottes, Rhode Island reds, black australorps, and rhodebars.
My chickens DEFINITELY over eat! If I give them each >1cup each in the morning, they will free range all day and still dog pile me when I hit the gate, looking for more. You just have to pace them.
I have never had the pleasure of meeting a self regulating chicken, though I have heard they exist.

1/2 a cup per chicken per day, you say? Bye bye feed bill.
caf.gif

Yes, that's TikkTok, one of our members here who graciously and diligently compiled much of the information on our two big FF threads into a FAQ site on feeding FF.  A HUGE service to the BYC community and to others out there on the net looking for answers about fermented feed.  There is so much disinformation out there about it that she decided to help folks get the straight facts on it all in one easy to reference place.  This was a major and ongoing work done by Tikk and it's so much appreciated by all.  I give this link every single time someone asks multiple questions, as it's just easier to direct them to the place that will answer any further questions they may come up with....most of the FAQ ever asked about it on these threads will be asked and answered on that blog site. 

[COLOR=800080]Thank you, wonderful TikkTok!!!! [/COLOR] :woot     :bow      :love

Awwww,shucks. T'weren't nothin' {blush}

I had some fantastic material to work with, and so many helped edit. Essentially, it's Beekissed's fault.
1f601.png

Honestly, I got tired of answering the same questions numerous times a day, and clarifying some of the not-so-good info out there. It seemed logical to compile the most asked questions into a single place.

There is still TONS of great info and studies that have been shared on both of these threads.
1f606.png

Yes, thank you tikktok! So informative, realistic, and easy. I started 2 weeks ago because of that post. I tried to read this whole thread as well as the meat bird one, but they are even more overwhelming than the deep litter thread! So grateful to the wise ones on here. Maybe someday,I'll know enough to actually help someone instead of asking questions
1f601.png

1f601.png
We all start somewhere.
1f603.png

OK, around a half cup per bird per day. Oh wow are they going to be ticked off! I don't remember where I read the chickens will not over eat. Whoever it was never met my chickens.

OK, around a half cup per bird per day. Oh wow are they going to be ticked off! I don't remember where I read the chickens will not over eat. Whoever it was never met my chickens.

Chickens will not over eat if fed a complete and balanced diet, keep in mind that chicken eat to fill there energy needs not to fill there stomach. If your chickens are eating a lot of feed, acting like there starved when you feed them that means that there is something wrong with the ration your feeding most likely it is a low energy or a very incomplete feed.

Here is a examples of amount of Metabolisable Energy a commercial type egg laying bird should be receiving per day.
(Note - Most hatchery type chickens fall under a commercial type egg laying bird)

0 - 6 week should be getting a Metabolisable Energy amount of 2750-2970 Kcal/Kg
6 - 12 weeks 2750-3025 of Metabolisable Energy
12 - 15 weeks 2700-2970 of Metabolisable Energy
15 - Prod. 2725-2980 of Metabolisable Energy

Laying hens that are
1 - 32 weeks laying 2770-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
32 - 44 weeks laying 2725-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
44 - 55 weeks laying 2675-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
> 55 weeks laying 2550-2825 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy

Quote: The hens' feed consumption rate is governed by several factors, including body weight (or age), rate of egg production, egg weight, effective ambient temperature, feed texture, dietary nutrient imbalances, and dietary energy content. The latter is especially important, because hens tend to increase or decrease feed consumption to maintain energy intake within a given range determined by the hens' physical capacity for feed intake. In other words, hens will attempt to consume more of a low-energy diet than of a high-energy diet. Only in special cases (such as nutrient imbalances or marginal salt deficiencies) will the hens adjust their feed consumption to meet their needs for specific nutrients, but usually not with great accuracy.

This makes sense as my girls are in the largest calorie band right now. I don't measure but I'm sure I feed more than 1/2 cup per bird per day (probably double that). They are all at a good weight (some are a little small actually) and laying wonderfully (except one freeloader). I take a pie plate of ff out about 4x per day for nine hens. They also have dry feed free choice, and as many weeds and kitchen scraps as I can manage because they really can't free range. Since they started laying and the days are longer they are eating A LOT more! I'm not giving them much scratch or BOSS as I was on the cold days of winter right now though...

Last edited:
Chickens will not over eat if fed a complete and balanced diet, keep in mind that chicken eat to fill there energy needs not to fill there stomach. If your chickens are eating a lot of feed, acting like there starved when you feed them that means that there is something wrong with the ration your feeding most likely it is a low energy or a very incomplete feed.

Here is a examples of amount of Metabolisable Energy a commercial type egg laying bird should be receiving per day.
(Note - Most hatchery type chickens fall under a commercial type egg laying bird)

0 - 6 week should be getting a Metabolisable Energy amount of 2750-2970 Kcal/Kg
6 - 12 weeks 2750-3025 of Metabolisable Energy
12 - 15 weeks 2700-2970 of Metabolisable Energy
15 - Prod. 2725-2980 of Metabolisable Energy

Laying hens that are
1 - 32 weeks laying 2770-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
32 - 44 weeks laying 2725-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
44 - 55 weeks laying 2675-2860 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
> 55 weeks laying 2550-2825 Kcal/Kg of Metabolisable Energy
Researchers say that genetic differences, which affect when chickens recognise when they have had enough to eat, could date back thousands of years when chickens were first domesticated and breeds were selected for their size.
The research was carried out by The Roslin Institute at the University of Edinburgh.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-03-chickens-overeat.html#jCp

Chickens are just as individual as any other creature, even humans, and some will overeat, much like some cats, dogs, horses, cows, etc. will tend to overeat on the very same diet as animals that do not overeat. Chickens are not cookie cutter things that can be fit into one mold, nor explained by all of science.

I've been keeping an eye on the girls today and now am suspecting they eat more like a toddler - lots and lots one day, not so much the next. They still have a bunch of FF from this morning right now and are being picky about spinach leaves and weeds. The past two days it seemed I couldn't fill them up.
1f914.png

Back
Top Bottom