FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I had previously bought one of the plastic hanging 7lb feeders before I started using FF. After switching to all FF it didn't work, so I took the top off it and found that the base tray fit the amount of feed I put out per day. To allow it to hang again, I use the guard from an older heat lamp. I just had to drill holes.

What are you paying for chicken feed in other parts of the country? I'm paying 13.50 - 14.00/50# for layer. Multi-flock is around $18. That's without any discount. Scratch is the same price. Bag of wheat or barley last time I checked was 26.00. No grain mills any where near me.
Are you SERIOUS??????A bag of wheat around here costs $6.00.

We can't find wheat around here. I like to give mine a mix of oats, corn, wheat, and table scraps. I like to cook a lot of beans and peas for my family and I always throw some of that in their food. I still didn't see if any one responded about fermenting whole grains instead of formulated feeds.

Last edited:
You can ferment whole grains. Just takes longer. The last time I bought whole wheat or barley was 2 years ago at a not so local feed store. Had to find it about 30 miles away from me. I don't buy it b/c of the ridiculous price tag. You folks who have feed mills near you, or who live in the grain belt are blessed to have feed available at a reasonable cost.

We can't find wheat around here. I like to give mine a mix of oats, corn, wheat, and table scraps. I like to cook a lot of beans and peas for my family and I always throw some of that in their food. I still didn't see if any one responded about fermenting whole grains instead of formulated feeds.

Yes, I ferment whole grains all the time. The food I use is basically a mixture of whole grains. It works great. It is amazing how much water they soak up.

I get mine from Knutzen grain in Skagit county by the ton. $.12 per pound! They're usually sold out this time of year though.
Ohhhh....well...... buying by the ton is no comparison to buying the usual 50# bag.
Most folks can't handle/store that amount of grain/feed.

Last edited:
This might be a silly request, but would some of you mind posting pics of what type of dish/feeder you use to "serve" fermented feed to your chickens? I know not to put it in a metal feeder, and I assume it's best fed fresh each day and not a self-dispensing type like you would regular feed.

I found the big black pan you drain motor oil in at Dollar tree for a buck of course, it works well for me and it was cheap.

Back
Top Bottom