FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Cheat sheet in my signature

That's (the tikktok link) what got me HERE lol!! Her sheet is awesome...but it left me with a couple specific questions (mostly in regards to 'how much to give' etc...because 'what they can eat in 30 minutes is kinda rough with a bunch of birds new to it). I'm not one to keep making people repeat things over and over and over...so I figured I'd read up first. But 900 freaking pages is a LOT lol.

Definitely appreciate you all sharing though!!

That's (the tikktok link) what got me HERE lol!! Her sheet is awesome...but it left me with a couple specific questions (mostly in regards to 'how much to give' etc...because 'what they can eat in 30 minutes is kinda rough with a bunch of birds new to it). I'm not one to keep making people repeat things over and over and over...so I figured I'd read up first. But 900 freaking pages is a LOT lol.

Definitely appreciate you all sharing though!!
Well LOL I can see your point. But silkies aren't going to eat as much as my jersey giants or turkeys.

Mix up the amount they usually eat in a day and put half of it out right away and see how they like it. Some birds need to ease into ff. Let the rest ferment

A lot of those pages may be chatting, so can just ask ;)

I appreciate that!

The first question was the amount. I have 24% chick starter, but should be switching to an 18%-20% soon (btw, does this process ADD protein to that? Or just make it more available? If it added I could switch to an overall less expensive feed). I have 20 barred rock girls at 6wks old. Should I just give them way more than necessary and pick up the excess at noon?...then refeed at say 6pm, and pick up the excess when I put them away at night.

I also wonder how this would interact with niacin for my geese.

Well LOL I can see your point. But silkies aren't going to eat as much as my jersey giants or turkeys.

Mix up the amount they usually eat in a day and put half of it out right away and see how they like it. Some birds need to ease into ff. Let the rest ferment

I've got 6 meat birds that are almost 7wks out there currently that make it REAL hard to estimate feed lol. I think tomorrow morning I'll make a 4" PVC trough, and feed their dry feed in it. They're like little raptors right now because I'm restricting the big birds to 12hrs on/off. Day 3 I'll sub in a large, but measured amount in the trough with the FF. Same in the evening. A week of that should give me an idea I'd think!

I give mine free choice for layers. Meat birds need restricting (after two weeks) as you know. I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble getting them to eat. Mine would eat everything they could fit in their beaks when the feed wasn't accessible.

I give mine free choice for layers. Meat birds need restricting (after two weeks) as you know. I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble getting them to eat. Mine would eat everything they could fit in their beaks when the feed wasn't accessible.
I did find the feeder inconvenient to use with ff and started feeding dry after they got a little bigger. They were also on pasture.

Back
Top Bottom