FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Hi, I have a question!

We have 25 Freedom Rangers and plan on feeding them based on the quantities in this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eed-amount-feed-conversion-and-growth.729919/

How do I calculate how I would do this with a fermented feed? Just cut in half? So if she recommends 4 lbs per day, would I feed 2?
I would measure the dry weight, so put 4 lbs in and then ferment that. you would also need to measure the water to make sure you have a consistent mix, but once you know how "big" 4 lbs of feed is once wet and fermented then you can make a mark on a bucket and just fill the bucket to that line each day from a larger batch. Or for more precise feeding, you could have 4-5 buckets, put 4 lbs of feed in each one, ferment each with 1 day between, so add water to 1 bucket each day, then once they are all wet, feed the oldest first. Each time you feed a bucket, don't scrape the sides or clean the bucket, just add 4 lbs of feed to the slop still stuck to the bucket (this will help the next batch start faster) and add water, you can do a continuous rotation this way but you know exactly how much feed is in each serving.

If you see the birds gaining weight faster than you would like you can cut it back, but I don't know that I would start them on half rations just because it is fermented. Maybe 3/4 if that makes you more comfortable.

I would measure the dry weight, so put 4 lbs in and then ferment that. you would also need to measure the water to make sure you have a consistent mix, but once you know how "big" 4 lbs of feed is once wet and fermented then you can make a mark on a bucket and just fill the bucket to that line each day from a larger batch. Or for more precise feeding, you could have 4-5 buckets, put 4 lbs of feed in each one, ferment each with 1 day between, so add water to 1 bucket each day, then once they are all wet, feed the oldest first. Each time you feed a bucket, don't scrape the sides or clean the bucket, just add 4 lbs of feed to the slop still stuck to the bucket (this will help the next batch start faster) and add water, you can do a continuous rotation this way but you know exactly how much feed is in each serving.

If you see the birds gaining weight faster than you would like you can cut it back, but I don't know that I would start them on half rations just because it is fermented. Maybe 3/4 if that makes you more comfortable.
Thank you! I planned on doing a bucket a day like you suggested so it's easy for anybody to feed them if we leave town (lol, a girl can dream).

I'll start with 3/4 and see how they do.

Feeding meat breeds is kind of down to what you want. I believe factories feed them 24-7 with light all night. Some feed a specified amount. Others give them all they can eat in 20 minutes, either once or twice a day, with access to grass and/or a paddock or free range. If once a day, then in the evening.

If they're growing faster or slower than you like, adjust feed to accommodate your goals. With CX, it is possible to provide too much high protein food, esp if you are at high altitude. This can kill them, but I don't think Rangers have this problem.

Started 2 batches for all my outside birds. Does this look correct? This is after stiring and feeding some to the chickens. But it also looks about the same the next morning after starting.
20200521_154713.jpg

Back
Top Bottom