Fermented Feeds

Bee did you deliberately remove your posts?

Yep...didn't mean to post on the thread...had clicked on it before I looked and assumed it was one of the original FF threads. Just an oopsy.
smile.png

I Assume she is speaking from experience, because i got stepped on rather rudely in one thread, myself. I almost wrote the site off as unfriendly, but realized that it was probably just this one guy.

Well, today was a flop. The girls only ate 1/2 of the FF? I have been adding to the jar as I take out, but I did have to add a lot of new water.  As I get the water from the fridge I also warm it up in the microwave, no warmer then 90. It did have a "good" smell but not real strong like it has had, could this have just not been "ready" for use yet?  I did also move it to the top of the fridge 3 days ago, as the weather was only in the high 60's and the laundry room follows the out side temps.:barnie  My wife was not too happy with the FF jar on the fridge, but I explained all the good this FF does for her birds!!

So do we all agree that it was just not "ready" to be used Or did I do something wrong? should I just use 3 jars and rotate, we only have 2 girls and a roo 7 weeks old. Thanks

Whether it is just soaking or actually fermenting, no matter. Even what we consider simply soaking (the first 12-24 hours) and even at cooler temps 60F, it IS fermenting. Just more slowly. Don't worry about it. Your laundry room sounds like a perfect place to ferment, as long it doesn't get so cold that the FF freezes solid at night. Feed right away if you want or wait a few days. You really can't go wrong.

As to why they only ate half of the FF, who knows. Unlike many on this thread, I also feed for part of the day, access to dry feed. My fermented feed gets pretty acidic and I don't think too much acid is good for any animal. I mean, I love my sauerkraut but I don't eat it exclusively. I notice that sometimes my birds prefer the FF and sometimes the dry feed. We have some 2-week old chicks that have eaten FF exclusively since day 1 and today I put out both FF and dry...they skipped the FF and gobbled the dry.

My last thought has to do with microwaving the water. I know micros are very popular but I almost never use one. Google about it. After WWII, the Russians reversed engineered some of the Nazi microwave weapons and what they found appalled them so much they banned the technology from use in their country for any purpose, including food. Something to do with the way that microwaves "denature" water and organic materials. YMMV.

Last edited:
I Assume she is speaking from experience, because i got stepped on rather rudely in one thread, myself. I almost wrote the site off as unfriendly, but realized that it was probably just this one guy.
welcome-byc.gif
No,no don't do that. We are a good bunch of people. There are some characters out here but mostly we are happy, helpful and will be glad to answer any questions. I've been on here for over 1700 posts and JUST got my chickens 6 wks ago. I did a LOT of research and asking questions. Good to have you.

:welcome        No,no don't do that.  We are a good bunch of people.    There are some characters out here but mostly we are happy, helpful and will be glad to answer any questions.  I've been on here for over 1700 posts and JUST got my chickens 6 wks ago.  I did a LOT of research and asking questions.  Good to have you.
you sound like me, Linda. I've been on here learning and gabbing for nearly a month and don't even have my chickens yet! Lol

Ok, this is what I was greeted with this morning
ep.gif
has an off smell too. I used a pickle jar and have been "fighting" a pickle smell but not today. Not really sure how to describe the smell, sniffing razor blades. I am thinking it is bad but wanted to check with others. No I did not feed it to the girls today just incase, or is this the true definition of fermented?

Ok, this is what I was greeted with this morning
ep.gif
has an off smell too. I used a pickle jar and have been "fighting" a pickle smell but not today. Not really sure how to describe the smell, sniffing razor blades. I am thinking it is bad but wanted to check with others. No I did not feed it to the girls today just incase, or is this the true definition of fermented?

The white on the top is the good stuff. Add a lot more crumbles to make it a thick oatmeal . Wait a few hours and start to feed. It looks fabulous.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom