Fermented Feeds

Is this chicken starter crumbles? Did you put some acv with Mother in it?

Good morning.
welcome-byc.gif
You don't really need acv with it. It just jump starts it a little. I add a glug to get it started but I found out later it wasn't necessary. It's all gotten from the air. Don't cover it tight. When it gets to about 1/4 from the bottom I just add some water and stir the sludge and then add more crumbles and water if necessary. I do it in a 5 gallon bucket now for my 16 6 wk olds. It won't go bad. One friend has a bunch and makes hers in a 33 gallon trash can. Uses a paddle to stir.
lau.gif
It's fermented so it doesn't spoil unless you let it set for weeks and not stir. You never have to start it over, just keep adding to it. I bought 5 gallon buckets yesterday while setting up my coop. Living in the deep south, I'm going to spray my white bucket black to keep the sun out of it. That keeps the water from getting algue (sp). Along with adding a splash of acv to it. I have the drill, so just need to make holes and plug in my nipples. Then I'm set. So glad to get my babies outside. They are so happy.
wee.gif

Ok, this is what I was greeted with this morning
ep.gif
has an off smell too. I used a pickle jar and have been "fighting" a pickle smell but not today. Not really sure how to describe the smell, sniffing razor blades. I am thinking it is bad but wanted to check with others. No I did not feed it to the girls today just incase, or is this the true definition of fermented?

This looks completely normal to me! Stir all of that together and feed it out. The growth you see on the top is the SCOBY, that is the good stuff and you want your ff to be just like this.

In my opinion you have way too much water over the top. I don't keep any water floating over mine until I refresh my bucket and then it is just enough for the feed to absorb and become a wet mash, sort of like grout, or oatmeal. You may want to add in some dry feed and reduce that water barrier to 1/2" or less.

ETA: HAHA! I just saw LindaB's post. I quoted her almost exactly! Too funny, but great minds think alike.

Last edited:
Good morning.
welcome-byc.gif
You don't really need acv with it. It just jump starts it a little. I add a glug to get it started but I found out later it wasn't necessary. It's all gotten from the air. Don't cover it tight. When it gets to about 1/4 from the bottom I just add some water and stir the sludge and then add more crumbles and water if necessary. I do it in a 5 gallon bucket now for my 16 6 wk olds. It won't go bad. One friend has a bunch and makes hers in a 33 gallon trash can. Uses a paddle to stir.
lau.gif
It's fermented so it doesn't spoil unless you let it set for weeks and not stir. You never have to start it over, just keep adding to it. I bought 5 gallon buckets yesterday while setting up my coop. Living in the deep south, I'm going to spray my white bucket black to keep the sun out of it. That keeps the water from getting algue (sp). Along with adding a splash of acv to it. I have the drill, so just need to make holes and plug in my nipples. Then I'm set. So glad to get my babies outside. They are so happy.
wee.gif

This looks completely normal to me! Stir all of that together and feed it out. The growth you see on the top is the SCOBY, that is the good stuff and you want your ff to be just like this.

In my opinion you have way too much water over the top. I don't keep any water floating over mine until I refresh my bucket and then it is just enough for the feed to absorb and become a wet mash, sort of like grout, or oatmeal. You may want to add in some dry feed and reduce that water barrier to 1/2" or less.

ETA: HAHA! I just saw LindaB's post. I quoted her almost exactly! Too funny, but great minds think alike.

LindaB220 I am going to go to a bucket with this the opening is too small to ladle out without spilling back into the FF.

kpgoldstar I have been taking FF out and was going to add more feed as it got lower, I use a fine plastic mesh to screen out the liquid and dump it back into the jar soon to be bucket. Is too much liquid on top a bad thing?

Thanks I am cheap and did not want to waste any feed if it was bad. I am going to go mix it up and take it to the girls, who looked at me this morning in wonder of why I didn't give them everything!!

LindaB220 I am going to go to a bucket with this the opening is too small to ladle out without spilling back into the FF.

kpgoldstar I have been taking FF out and was going to add more feed as it got lower, I use a fine plastic mesh to screen out the liquid and dump it back into the jar soon to be bucket. Is too much liquid on top a bad thing?

Thanks I am cheap and did not want to waste any feed if it was bad. I am going to go mix it up and take it to the girls, who looked at me this morning in wonder of why I didn't give them everything!!
I don't keep any water on top at all. Mortar consistancy from start to finish. It saves a lot of hassle to not worry about screening. Just save about 1/4 in the bottom and add water and stir to distribute it. Then add feed and water. Stir Overnight it's done. Easy peasy. Beekissed has been doing it this way 2 yrs and never had to start over. I absolutely love it and keep it in the coop in a 5 gallon bucket. Lid just sitting on it. I live in NW La (deep south) so I can keep it out there year round. No snow ever.
lau.gif

I don't keep any water on top at all. Mortar consistancy from start to finish. It saves a lot of hassle to not worry about screening. Just save about 1/4 in the bottom and add water and stir to distribute it. Then add feed and water. Stir Overnight it's done. Easy peasy. Beekissed has been doing it this way 2 yrs and never had to start over. I absolutely love it and keep it in the coop in a 5 gallon bucket. Lid just sitting on it. I live in NW La (deep south) so I can keep it out there year round. No snow ever.
lau.gif

Not sure I have that option of not having water on top, too dry in the summer (central valley CA). Someone on here said they muck it out the night before and drain off the water in the morning I might go that route.

So as long as you have a good amount of "left over" at the bottom of the bucket you can get away from saving the water daily, am I understanding this correctly? I just do not want to poison my girls or my family in the end
yippiechickie.gif

Not sure I have that option of not having water on top, too dry in the summer (central valley CA). Someone on here said they muck it out the night before and drain off the water in the morning I might go that route.

So as long as you have a good amount of "left over" at the bottom of the bucket you can get away from saving the water daily, am I understanding this correctly? I just do not want to poison my girls or my family in the end
yippiechickie.gif

Understood.. I live in the deep south and it's hot. I keep it loosely covered with a lid. If it's dry just stir it down and feed. Add a little more water if needed. YOU do what works best for you. Nothing is going to happen to the ferment. It's so healthy no germs can get to it.

yippiechickie.gif

I live in the driest, hottest place in the country and I don't have water over mine. A layer of water is not a bad thing, just personal preference. I used to keep water over mine too but grew tired of the straining out. Over a couple months I just mixed each new batch more dry. Now mine is like Linda's too. It doesn't ever crust over and becomes wetter as I get closer to the bottom.

I keep mine in an 8 qt plastic food grade bucket. It has a snap on lid but still allows air flow so it is always somewhat moist.

And yes, when you get down to about a day's worth of feeding out, just add more dry food and water to what is in your bucket and you will notice the slight tinge by the next day. Each day that passes it gets a little more sour. Then you just repeat the process once again. I have been using the same bucket for over 7 months and I have never washed it. It is just a continuous process.

I live in the driest, hottest place in the country and I don't have water over mine. A layer of water is not a bad thing, just personal preference. I used to keep water over mine too but grew tired of the straining out. Over a couple months I just mixed each new batch more dry. Now mine is like Linda's too. It doesn't ever crust over and becomes wetter as I get closer to the bottom.

I keep mine in an 8 qt plastic food grade bucket. It has a snap on lid but still allows air flow so it is always somewhat moist.

And yes, when you get down to about a day's worth of feeding out, just add more dry food and water to what is in your bucket and you will notice the slight tinge by the next day. Each day that passes it gets a little more sour. Then you just repeat the process once again. I have been using the same bucket for over 7 months and I have never washed it. It is just a continuous process.

Yeah, I don't wash mine either. I just add water first and stir the sludge. Then start adding enough feed. Works every time. By adding water first and stirring it makes the ferment a LOT quicker. I do it overnight.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom