Fermented Feeds

Aloha,

I say that you should have 1-2 inches of water on top at the beginning to make sure that the LAB is the dominant microorganism. After that, use less water. I have no water on top either, and the top few inches of feed is quite dry, sometimes with yeast scobi growing on top. I move that to the side and pull from the wetter bottom to feed along with the easier to scoop dryer stuff. I also spread that wetter bottom stuff on top, as I am not a fan of yeast, even though it is purported to be harmless. The wetter bottom stuff is loaded with LAB and it kills the yeast. I use a 10 gallon bucket and 2/3 is pau in 1 week, then I refill. When refilling, yes, it is much easier to add the water first, then the feed.

I always end up adding a little water when I rinse my spoon into the bucket.

NO ACV! No need.

kden, Puhi

Well you silly!! Just because it wasn't one of our usual threads doesn't mean your advice and comments aren't welcomed or appreciated!

I just don't believe in starting new threads on a topic that is being covered adequately by two large threads already....it's redundant and confusing to new people, so I usually don't participate in those kinds of threads. That's what the search function is for...for finding topics and existing threads on those topics.

Now, if for some reason those existing threads were not covering the topic adequately I see no reason not to start a new thread but when the threads in question are answering details of the topic, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel. It just causes more work and confusion for folks, so I choose not to place my efforts in threads of that nature.
smile.png

They have now turned their beaks up at the FF. Since the post with the pics they have steadily stopped eating it, should I start over or wait till I put them on a bag of Layena at about 18 weeks, 9 weeks from now? they are eating a start & grow now and I give them grass and about a cup of dried meal worms (this for 2 days now) as a treat. Thanks

I'm a new chicken mom, I have six, 8 week old chicks that I feed Scratch and Peck Grower to (just switched from chick). I felt like they were always hungry but never ate so last night I mixed up a batch to soak/ferment. I fed them some of the soaked feed this morning and they totally went to town. I'm thinking about doing the 3 jar method. I have 21 month old twins so I need to have easy access to everything. I'm just shocked that I'm fermenting for my chickens before myself. I have been meaning to brew my own Kombucha I even have the SCOBY but just haven't found the time.

I have a question and pardon if it's been answered before but do you just use a regular bowl for FF? Or is there something to keep them from jumping in the bowl? Thanks

They have now turned their beaks up at the FF. Since the post with the pics they have steadily stopped eating it, should I start over or wait till I put them on a bag of Layena at about 18 weeks, 9 weeks from now? they are eating a start & grow now and I give them grass and about a cup of dried meal worms (this for 2 days now) as a treat. Thanks

Honey why would they want fermented feed when you're giving them candy. Back off a lot on the snacks. The worms should be simply a treat occasionally. Leave only FF in the coop for a few days. They will get used to it. The are kids, always wanting the goodies. The need the nutrition of FF and you need to save your money on less feed and less worms.
lau.gif

How many chicks for a cup of meal worms? That is A LOT! Are you feeding it wet? Be sure to strain it well. My birds much prefer it quite dry over soupy.

I'm a new chicken mom, I have six, 8 week old chicks that I feed Scratch and Peck Grower to (just switched from chick). I felt like they were always hungry but never ate so last night I mixed up a batch to soak/ferment. I fed them some of the soaked feed this morning and they totally went to town. I'm thinking about doing the 3 jar method. I have 21 month old twins so I need to have easy access to everything. I'm just shocked that I'm fermenting for my chickens before myself. I have been meaning to brew my own Kombucha I even have the SCOBY but just haven't found the time.

I have a question and pardon if it's been answered before but do you just use a regular bowl for FF? Or is there something to keep them from jumping in the bowl? Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
I've got your answer. FIRST, you brew your kombucha. With twins you need the stamina.
lau.gif
You can do a 3 jar method but just do it tonight. One jars needs to set at least 4 days to properly ferment. Then add some of it to the other two jars and ferment overnight. All you need is the first 4 day wait. Stir daily. Then it's always ready overnight. I have 16 and had a trough built that allows them to eat at the same time. You know they are gonna walk on it. But it's gone so soon that it doesn't matter. I feed a small feeding in the morning about 8 am and the big one at 4 pm. What ever is the best for you. Mine can't forage so we make do. I take them weeds and seeds from the yard. Couldn't do a garden but I might try an small one for kale and mustard greens. They love it.
big_smile.png

I just used small flat tupperware containers when they were little. I raised 4 from a week old. They still walk in it, but I fed in intervals so they would pretty much gobble it up clean before they had a chance to explore it.

Aloha,

I say that you should have 1-2 inches of water on top at the beginning to make sure that the LAB is the dominant microorganism. After that, use less water. I have no water on top either, and the top few inches of feed is quite dry, sometimes with yeast scobi growing on top. I move that to the side and pull from the wetter bottom to feed along with the easier to scoop dryer stuff. I also spread that wetter bottom stuff on top, as I am not a fan of yeast, even though it is purported to be harmless. The wetter bottom stuff is loaded with LAB and it kills the yeast. I use a 10 gallon bucket and 2/3 is pau in 1 week, then I refill. When refilling, yes, it is much easier to add the water first, then the feed.

I always end up adding a little water when I rinse my spoon into the bucket.

NO ACV! No need.

kden, Puhi

Hey Puhi, my friend Kassaundra has been doing FF in a 33 gallon can for 3 yrs. She always leaves water on top. I asked her why and she said that is the way she learned it. Both works well. I keep mine dryer because I don't want to strain it. But use what you are comfortable doing. Both are good.
highfive.gif

How many chicks for a cup of meal worms? That is A LOT! Are you feeding it wet? Be sure to strain it well. My birds much prefer it quite dry over soupy.

I am guessing on the cup but it is a couple of hand full single layer deep. I have average size meat hooks.

The FF is like a grout consistency. I have also left the dry feeder out for them, I just can not bring myself to starve them, and they are not making a mess of the dry like before the FF. How long can they go with out food if I take the dry food out before I get nervous about them starving.

Back
Top Bottom