Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

She did love it!  It can do everything but your taxes....but there may be a way to do those with it too, I just didn't read the manual.  Then things happened here and her Vitamix got rehomed to a sister's house...over $400 worth of machinery... :rolleyes: and we are down to a Ninja blender, which will still do the trick on taking big things and making them small, but doesn't have the capabilities of the VM.

Personally, I wouldn't invest in one for myself(I'm much too cheap...um..er.I mean,frugal) but at the time Mama really wanted one and I had the money, so I got her one.  They are very nice for canning purposes and that's the reason I got one for her, just to make things easier on her.   

Oh wow, that sounds sooo familiar. ;) LOL Just today I was having a fantasy about going and repossessing a certain household appliance, taking it out in the front yard of said residence, blasting it with a shotgun then saying, "ahh, you just keep it". hahahaha Some days frustration levels just get a wee bit high. LOL

gig.gif
lau.gif
lol.png
I dare ya! And take vid of it so we can watch it.....what a vindication that would be!
big_smile.png
I have two sisters who were indicted for the grand theft of my parent's things...stripped the house like the Grinch who stole Christmas. Never got any of those things back..... they even took the ball of rubberbands saved in the utility/tool drawer. Cabinets completely stripped...I think we found a paper clip or two. I feel for ya....
hugs.gif

@Robert M... oh my beautiful little lemons! I knew I loved them for a reason! LOL My favorite way to eat them is sliced really really thin and sprinkle salt on each piece then eat it peeling and all (except seeds). Those dang seeds are bitter. The family has made fun of me for years for eating lemon peelings. And I love lemons to cook with too. If I could figure out how to get them to not be so hard on the enamel of my teeth I would give in to my lemon addiction. Thanks for the freezing then grating idea!

Speaking of seeds, check this out... (I eat my granny smith apple seeds too)

http://naturalroute.com/content/cancer/fruitseeds_cancer.html
"An Apple a day- and be sure and eat the seeds.

Most of us have heard the term "an apple a day will keep the doctor away". There is an amount of truth to this old saying. If you also eat the seeds from some fruits you may achieve some protection from cancer. I usually eat the seeds from the apples that I eat because they contain cyanogen. A cyanogen generates cyanide. Cyanide is lethal in large quantities, but tiny amounts are normal to normal cells-but in some scientific studies is has been shown to kill cancer cells.

Scientific studies have shown that over 30 native herbs found from around the world with cyanogens in them are noted for having anti-cancer properties.

The cell's of our body has the enzyme rhodanese that will detoxify cyanides that form naturally in a cell. A tiny level of the enzyme rhodanese is normal in our bodies. It seems that cancer cells lack this enzyme, so if you eat a small quantity of bitter almonds or apple seeds, or apricot seeds or other fruit seeds with cyanogens, the cancer cells may be affected when they come in contact with this enzyme, rhodanese. Your normal cells are are fine because they are protected by the enzyme rhodanese.

I would not trust in apple seeds or the seeds from any fruit alone to cure me from cancer, but I do believe that there are many things that protect our bodies in the early stages of many diseases. So I'm going to continue to eat my apple seeds. I would love to find a bitter almond tree to add to my orchard. I keep a container of almonds by me to snack on all day. They are not the bitter almonds, but it's a much better snack than chips or junk food.

There is much controversy over the substance Laetrile also know as Vitamin B 17 being found in apricot seeds and having the ability to cure cancer. I prefer to believe that it does have this ability, but it has been outlawed to be sold. Too bad that people don't have the ability to make their own choices in regards to their cancer treatment.

As I consider my eating fruit seeds I think about the fact that I want to stop cancer growth at it's beginning stages and not let it get a foothold in my body. I think that this may be one way of stopping cancer at it's early stages. There are also antioxidants that are useful in having good health and amino acids that build up the immune system. You can learn more about these substances by following the links.

More can be found on laetrile and vitamin B 17"

I'll try to dig it out here in the next couple of days...will keep you posted as to when I post it. When we first started making it it had creamy, relish look to it but then I bought my mother a Vitamix and we blended it down to a smooth spread. We like it better that way and it goes further.
HOT PEPPER BUTTER

I've heard of the hot pepper "butter" of the Amish but never actually tried it - apple butter is all the rage for most local palates. I thought it would be worthwhile to pursue a recipe online and have found that many are a bit daunting to create. Nevertheless, it might be a fun challenge at the very least. Several variations exist, but this seems to be the gist of it:

42 hot peppers
1 pint of yellow mustard
1 quart of vinegar
6 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 cup flour
1 1 /2 cups water

Grind hot peppers, add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Make a paste with flour and water and add to boiling mixture and cook five minutes. Pour into pint jars and seal. Makes 7 pints.

Not the most specific recipe - the "hot peppers" used by the Amish are almost certainly banana peppers (which are quite mild in my opinion). Some recipes specify cider vinegar, others seem to imply plain old white vinegar. I'm sure you can put your own spin on it by using a prepared mustard of your preference, although another almost identical recipe I found suggested using a quart of mustard rather than a pint. Depends on how mustardy you want it I suppose.
I'm sure you could halve all the ingredients in order to make a bit less and is probably amazing as a pretzel dip.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
This sounds similar to our recipe except the flour..we don't use it, brown sugar is used..and ours states a "peck" of hot peppers. Most folks have forgotten what a peck is, exactly, so it can be problematic...but your recipe sounds a bit more specific. We like to throw a jalapeno pepper in the mix now and again for a different flavor profile. but the hot banana peppers are what we use primarily. I'm thinking it would be even more killer with chipotle.

:gig   :lau   :lol:   I dare ya!  And take vid of it so we can watch it.....what a vindication that would be!  :D   I have two sisters who were indicted for the grand theft of my parent's things...stripped the house like the Grinch who stole Christmas.  Never got any of those things back..... they even took the ball of rubberbands saved in the utility/tool drawer.  Cabinets completely stripped...I think we found a paper clip or two.  I feel for ya....  :hugs

Oh I would be in jail over that! If I wasn't around here with the presence of a pitbull it would happen to my mom too. I try to keep a close eye on all things, and that ain't easy! Several times I have heard "people" in the other room whispering, talking mom out of some money.

Ohhhh giiirl, don't you dare dare me! LOL If I could have decided on the 410, 20 or the 12 guage I problably would have done it. hahahaha No, really the only thing that stopped me was upsetting my mom. I'm POSITIVE I would have been "told on". LOL I might have got arrested though... but I am pretty tired these days. But there probably wouldn't be a toilet to sit down on when I got home! lol Sure would be a lot of work for some folks to do if they had me locked up and I wasn't around for a bit. I doubt they would think that far ahead though.

But boy oh boy you are so right - that would be some sweeeeet sweet vindication! LOL

This sounds similar to our recipe except the flour..we don't use it, brown sugar is used..and ours states a "peck" of hot peppers. Most folks have forgotten what a peck is, exactly, so it can be problematic...but your recipe sounds a bit more specific. We like to throw a jalapeno pepper in the mix now and again for a different flavor profile. but the hot banana peppers are what we use primarily. I'm thinking it would be even more killer with chipotle.

We use brown sugar, too. White sugar is a killer.

We also use corn starch in place of flour.

My wife and I are prolific canners and did over 200 quarts and over 100 pints and half-pints this year.

We use all Ball or Kerr jars and lids, the chinese ones are junk, especially the paper-thin lids. Tomato sauce eats right through them. Anything acid. And the jars are like eggshells. They break.

@ Robert M... I wonder how that recipe would be with mayo instead of mustard, or maybe half and half? I agree, I would want it made with jalapenos.

@ Robert M... I wonder how that recipe would be with mayo instead of mustard, or maybe half and half? I agree, I would want it made with jalapenos.

The mayo probably wouldn't can good, but a fresh batch may be alright. Take a small amount (maybe a 1/4 pint) and add some mayo to it, after you make it, that would be better than screwing up a whole batch if it didn't work.

Anyway, if the taste is good, you can can the original and add the mayo as a side dish, when you serve it. People can mix their own poison! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom