Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

The mayo probably wouldn't can good, but a fresh batch may be alright.  Tahe a small amount and add some mayo to it, after you make it, that would be better than screwing up a whole batch if it didn't work.  Anyway, if the taste is good, you can can the original and add the mayo as a side dish, when you serve it.  People can mix their own poison!  LOL

Good idea! ...I'm hungry! LOL

You can use either the mustard or the mayo...we did the mayo years ago and didn't much care for it. It lacked the tang and zip of the mustard based spread and the mustard is cheaper than mayo, so it's a win/win. It also gives it a prettier color when combined with using red peppers...a lovely terra cotta color.

I have a couple questions about this recipe. Is that self-rising flour or plain? Could you use 6 cups of brown sugar instead of 6 cups of regular white? And do you usually remove the seeds when y'all make it? Thanks!

HOT PEPPER BUTTER

I've heard of the hot pepper "butter" of the Amish but never actually tried it - apple butter is all the rage for most local palates. I thought it would be worthwhile to pursue a recipe online and have found that many are a bit daunting to create. Nevertheless, it might be a fun challenge at the very least. Several variations exist, but this seems to be the gist of it:

42 hot peppers
1 pint of yellow mustard
1 quart of vinegar
6 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 cup flour
1 1 /2 cups water

Grind hot peppers, add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Make a paste with flour and water and add to boiling mixture and cook five minutes. Pour into pint jars and seal. Makes 7 pints.

I have a couple questions about this recipe. Is that self-rising flour or plain? Could you use 6 cups of brown sugar instead of 6 cups of regular white? And do you usually remove the seeds when y'all make it? Thanks!

HOT PEPPER BUTTER

I've heard of the hot pepper "butter" of the Amish but never actually tried it - apple butter is all the rage for most local palates. I thought it would be worthwhile to pursue a recipe online and have found that many are a bit daunting to create. Nevertheless, it might be a fun challenge at the very least. Several variations exist, but this seems to be the gist of it:

42 hot peppers
1 pint of yellow mustard
1 quart of vinegar
6 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 cup flour
1 1 /2 cups water

Grind hot peppers, add mustard, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Make a paste with flour and water and add to boiling mixture and cook five minutes. Pour into pint jars and seal. Makes 7 pints.

If it says to grind the peppers, obviously it would be seeds and all, I would think. Use a blender and blend until it's smooth.

I use brown sugar in place of the white, bleached stuff, all the time. White sugar feeds carcinogens.

If it says to grind the peppers, obviously it would be seeds and all, I would think.  Use a blender and blend until it's smooth. 

I use brown sugar in place of the white, bleached stuff, all the time.  White sugar feeds carcinogens.

Thanks. I'll have to try that with the brown sugar too. I bought a bag of "coconut sugar" the other day. Haven't tried it yet but it sounded so good I went for it.

I haven't seen anything like that on the shelves but then, we usually just can our own hot peppers into a hot pepper sandwich spread we call hot pepper butter. I've gotten so I can hardly eat a sandwich in a restaurant because it doesn't have any hot pepper butter on it...so I rarely order such a thing!
gig.gif

I don't get nearly as much exercise as I used to do so I'm largely (get it?) sedentary compared to the level of activity I used to do..though the activity I used to do would wear most folks out in a short time of doing it. All my sibs are large as a barge and not one true health issue in any of us yet either(though many are more sedentary than I by far), with ages ranging from 62 to 47, and my parents are tiny, slender folks. Go figure..good, fat healthy genes, I'm thinking.
lol.png

My blender doesn't grind the pepper skins fine enough so you end op with these little bits of skin in your mouth. I can burn the skins to black then rub it off before grinding it up but that is a lot of trouble. I've strained it out but then had too watery a mess. The best I've come up with was to grind canned jalapenos and add a bit of honey and that gave me a preserve for toast. So tell me how do you make your pepper butter because I like the sound of that. Ummmm. : )

My blender doesn't grind the pepper skins fine enough so you end op with these little bits of skin in your mouth. I can burn the skins to black then rub it off before grinding it up but that is a lot of trouble. I've strained it out but then had too watery a mess. The best I've come up with was to grind canned jalapenos and add a bit of honey and that gave me a preserve for toast. So tell me how do you make your pepper butter because I like the sound of that. Ummmm. : )

My bad! I backed up and there was the recipe! Yayyyyyy

How much and what should I use for lacto-fermentation? And how much ACV (separate batch) should I use per x amount of water? I'm sorry, I know it's here somewhere, but I just don't have the time to look!

How much and what should I use for lacto-fermentation? And how much ACV (separate batch) should I use per x amount of water? I'm sorry, I know it's here somewhere, but I just don't have the time to look!
I got Mayfield Whole Milk Buttermilk, which contains milk, live cultures, and salt......I just poured some in the water......I didn't measure. I mentioned Mayfield to you because I see you live in TN too.
smile.png
I think in the summer it wouldn't take much, but as the weather cools, it might take more to get things going promptly.

Back
Top Bottom