Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Something to remember at this time of year too, is that having wet poops is a form of cooling because they drink more water. Still less water than with dry food but it will still cause them to have very wet poops during the heat of the day.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU!

I thought I had a sick bird.. it never even occurred to me that the 102-degree temperature had something to do with it..

This will be very helpful ~ thank you!
I can definitely say their poop don't stink ;) their coop, along with the deep litter, has a natural earthy smell :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease on this issue!

From one "worry wart" to another, you're welcome. hahaha It is easy to stress over them. I do it often myself. :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU!

I thought I had a sick bird.. it never even occurred to me that the 102-degree temperature had something to do with it..

Holy cow, you already have 102 degree weather! How hot does it get there at the hottest? I'd like to visit a desert sometime. I bet it is beautiful there.

Something to remember at this time of year too, is that having wet poops is a form of cooling because they drink more water.  Still less water than with dry food but it will still cause them to have very wet poops during the heat of the day.

That is indeed good to know and not something I was aware of. We hit 110* today, so summer is upon us!

Holy cow, you already have 102 degree weather! How hot does it get there at the hottest? I'd like to visit a desert sometime. I bet it is beautiful there.

We hit 110* today, so I know the feeling. This is my first summer with chickens, so it'll be a learning experience. It is quite common for 115*-117* here, although 120*-122* is not unusual. Meanwhile, the nights can drop 30*-40*. It makes for interesting camping trips!

From one "worry wart" to another, you're welcome. hahaha It is easy to stress over them. I do it often myself. :)

They are almost 6 weeks old ~ I started free ranging end of last week ~ 14 of them ~ since putting them out they are eating significantly less FF ~ my new worry will be predators until we get a livestock guardian dog but they are so fun to watch!

They are almost 6 weeks old ~ I started free ranging end of last week ~ 14 of them ~ since putting them out they are eating significantly less FF ~ my new worry will be predators until we get a livestock guardian dog but they are so fun to watch!

Yes they are fun to watch. I think my 14 are about 12 weeks old and they do love foraging. I believe they have really helped the tick population where they are. To me, that is one big plus to having them. I know what you mean about the predators! I have got to do some fencing! I think fencing (especially electric) just might be a farmer's best friends. LOL

Yes they are fun to watch. I think my 14 are about 12 weeks old and they do love foraging. I believe they have really helped the tick population where they are. To me, that is one big plus to having them. I know what you mean about the predators! I have got to do some fencing! I think fencing (especially electric) just might be a farmer's best friends. LOL

Agree! My 1st & only chicken book is Ussery's "Small Scale Poultry Flock" - he's a big fan & had me sold - hoping to incorporate at some point :)

That is indeed good to know and not something I was aware of. We hit 110* today, so summer is upon us!
We hit 110* today, so I know the feeling. This is my first summer with chickens, so it'll be a learning experience. It is quite common for 115*-117* here, although 120*-122* is not unusual. Meanwhile, the nights can drop 30*-40*. It makes for interesting camping trips!

You'll want to be sure to provide shade and adequate ventilation for their coop, maybe incorporate a fan to keep the air moving. Some people put out pans of water for their birds to wade in, and some of them actually do it. I haven't tried that yet... probably this year.

Also, changing their water mid day will be helpful as cool water is more palatable to them (can't blame them there).

Other people freeze watermelon or monster zuccini and give that to them during the heat of the day. I've heard they love it and its nice and cool once it starts to thaw and also helps them to stay hydrated.

Oh... and since their water goes through them so quickly you'll want to put chick vitamins/minerals in it or you can use 1 Tbsp organic apple cider vinegar to one gallon water.

Good luck getting through the summer, it's always a trial. If you have a tree that you let your girls hang out under, a misting system from a hardware store will cause the shade under that tree to be about 20 degrees cooler, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom