Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I've considered large crocks, but they are so darn heavy... and narrow at the top... and I'm short.

Guineas do NOT get fed around here... their job is to eat bugs... we feed them nothing... even in the winter they will pick at grains left or dropped by other livestock, but we have found that feeding them is a waste of money.

I have two 5 gallon buckets going and feed from the one on the left each morning and the one on the right at night. They are identical grains mixes. I then have 2 different buckets for premix ingredients... one for chicks (less calcium, more protein, etc), and one for adults. This way my grains are the same for all ages of chickens and as I pull out the FF I simply add premix from the correct bucket of already combined premix ingredients.
No soy, no gmo.... ever... I grind and mix my own.

My biggest problem with FF is that I dislike feeding twice a day year round. This time of year the free ranging chickens don't get much anyway (if any). But I have a lot of growing chicks. I don't mind feeding chicks twice a day in the spring and summer as I like to check on them and see how they are doing anyway - and I monitor their intake a little closer that way too. But by fall I prefer to feed only once a day. I haven't tried this with ferment yet, but that's my plan for fall. By winter when there is no forage, they don't get out for several months... not just because there are no bugs and forage, but also because my maremma are quite busy since that's peak lambing season. In the past I have fed free choice, home ground rations that were dry... just fill it up every few days. For some reason I'm worried about confining everyone this winter and feeding FF only once a day... not sure why... will have to see how it goes. But I have too many other farming commitments with hundreds of lambs hitting the ground in the winter to try to feed twice daily.
Here's something I've been mulling over in my head. I haven't figured out the exact process yet but I'm working on it.

If you look up automatic chicken feeder or treadle chicken feeder on youtube you'll see plans for a covered feeder that has the lid being raised when a hen steps on the treadle. I am thinking about a way to make one of these and put a new kitty litter pan (or something comparable) inside it to hold the fermented feed and not soak into the wood construction. This kind of design would benefit me in a couple of ways. I would only have to feed once per day and I wouldn't have to pick up the feed at night (so the mice aren't being fed).

My ff also has gray on top. It's because I leave my thicker. I just mix it back I and add a little water. It never smells spoiled.

Now black? I would just scoop out what had black on it, sniff the rest, stir it up and add a little water :)

Mine often has a gray or whitish film on it. I stir back in. I think the best thing to do is to let your nose be your guide. If it smells off it's probably out of balance.

Posting here also "Okay sorry if this has been discussed, I am 1,000 post behind and don't think I will get caught up anytime soon. For those in HOT areas do you use ACV in your water? This was posted on my Texas forum and just wanted to get others input. I use ACV with mother in both my water and fermented feed. Should I back off during our SUPER HOT summer? I have noticed that my shells are getting thinner even though they have oyster and crushed egg shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/784410/do-you-add-supplements-and-or-electrolytes/10

Thinner shells in summer is normal. I live where its hot and I still use ACV in my waters and ferment buckets. If you have access to alfalfa cubes, there is a good amount of calcium in alfalfa and putting some of that in their food will get a little more calcium into them. My shells, for the most part, are still good and hard.

Posting here also "Okay sorry if this has been discussed, I am 1,000 post behind and don't think I will get caught up anytime soon.  For those in HOT areas do you use ACV in your water?  This was posted on my Texas forum and just wanted to get others input.  I use ACV with mother in both my water and fermented feed.  Should I back off during our SUPER HOT summer?  I have noticed that my shells are getting thinner even though they have oyster and crushed egg shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/784410/do-you-add-supplements-and-or-electrolytes/10

I was just wondering this & about to ask ~ thanks for sharing this thread! It was 99 & super windy here in KS yesterday ~ looks like we may reach near 100 again but not as windy. I am thankful for all the shade our property offers but have neglected to get more waterers out for them :/ heading out to do just that!

Good day to you all :)

Back
Top Bottom