Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Question a couple of my Silkies are sitting on eggs could hatch any day. I can't find a small bag of chick starter anywhere with out it being medicated and I don't want to buy a big bag will the flock raiser (purina) work as well?
Do you have Cenex farm stores in Oregon? They carry the small bags of unmedicated chick start and Grow. Purina Sun fresh recipe.

I make small buckets of FF for my Silkie chicks using this.

Last edited:
Question a couple of my Silkies are sitting on eggs could hatch any day. I can't find a small bag of chick starter anywhere with out it being medicated and I don't want to buy a big bag will the flock raiser (purina) work as well?

Do you have Cenex farm stores in Oregon? They carry the small bags of unmedicated chick start and Grow. Purina Sun fresh recipe.

I make small buckets of FF for my Silkie chicks using this.

We have a Big R here that carries that small bag as well. You might try asking your store to order it for you. They might require you to have an order number. If so, let me know and I will call my Big R to find out. Also, I wouldn't use flock raiser unless it specifically says it is safe to feed to chicks. The calcium could be too high.

A quick email to Purina should get a quick responce. Tell them where you live and they should be able to direct you to the nearest dealer that carries the smaller bags of the feed you want.

Ok thanks everyone. All we have is Coastal and co-op. We are going to Eugene today maybe I can get my husband to stop someplace there. But that's like pulling teeth. I may have to go with the medicated if I don't find anything. They could hatch any time now so I better get something today.

Here's a question.

Is it true that turning your feeding into FF and adding the corn and oats depletes the protein count in the feed?

I have a question can you use left over use grains from a brewery. It is suppose to have 21% protein but it is moist is that a problem?
I do not have access to brewery grains so have never used them, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. Being moist would be no problem at all since fermented feed is kept wet. My only reservation would be using them entirely by themselves and whether they would have enough food left in them to keep a ferment going.

It is suppose to be a good source of protein, my buddy also uses it to feed to his cows pigs etc. its suppose to have 21% protein. Another question it this I have to get it bulk what happens if it molds.

It is suppose to be a good source of protein, my buddy also uses it to feed to his cows pigs etc. its suppose to have 21% protein. Another question it this I have to get it bulk what happens if it molds.

I haul spent grain for a brewery. It contains anywhere between 20-35 % protein depending on the grain and brewing methods, and is approximately 72% moisture.

In the summer I lay it out on tarps straight from the brewery wet, and use it straight from the tarp. By the end of the week all that is left on the tarp is generally dry and able to be stored. The rest of the year when it is not hot enough to dry it I keep it in large barrels. It is moist so it pretty generally "seals" itself up like silage and all the stuff underneath the top layer does not mold. What does mold I dump in the field or compost.

I have still yet to formulate an "ideal" spent grain feed recipe but when using it wet you have to remember that at 72% moisture, for every 100 lbs you use you are really only getting 28 lbs of actual grain. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom