Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I see no problem using stainless steel, wood, aluminum or plastic to stir your FF. I uses a large aluminum spoon to stir my FF all the time and a wire mesh strainer for draining the FF and have no problems. The spoon is just as bright as the day I bought it, if there was a reaction going on the spoon would lose it shine, the wire mesh strainer would also discolor. That said I do rinse everything every time it is used. Where I live there is high humidity which slows drying of anything but I still have no problems. It would take time for any chemical reaction to start, the FF does not have strong enough chemicals in it to react by the simple stirring of the FF. I have been using my plastic containers, wire strainer and now the aluminum spoon as long as I have been fermenting, I do not have any sick chickens, nor any chickens with the runs and the eggs are still the best. Oh and the chicks hatched from broody hens that eat the FF are good strong chicks that are not deformed in anyway and they have become pullets laying eggs which are good eggs too. The large perforated spoon the I use in the slop bucket still has the magic marker on it after long use. That said, I ferment cracked corn and standard layer feed for 4 days and I use the drain liquid as a starter for the next mash, what is the chemical properties of the FF is not known by me, the chickens eat it, lay awesome eggs while the meat produce in the meats chicks is better than any store bought, what else can I say. . . . . . . .

Good to hear my instincts were correct (being along the "no wood!? I dont buy it..." line of thinking. I will continue stirring my massive bucket of FF with my giant wooden stick...at least until I can get my husband to carve me a giant wooden spoon!

Good to hear my instincts were correct (being along the "no wood!? I dont buy it..." line of thinking. I will continue stirring my massive bucket of FF with my giant wooden stick...at least until I can get my husband to carve me a giant wooden spoon!
I think the issue with wood is the potential for the formation of methanol, an alcohol formed with wood breakdown, which is very very toxic. This doesn't occur if the wood isn't soaked in something for a period of time. This would not happen, nor would leaching of any other potentially toxic substances by simply stirring. If you fermented your feed in a wooden barrel, then you could have an issue, but even then it might not matter depending on the type of wood. I stir mine with a wooden spoon as well.

Prolonged contact is what could potentially be an issue with toxicity.

I wonder if I'm the only one that randomly cackles at her husband as he walks by when I'm stirring my "Brew" (as he calls it)...

All I can imagine is that someone likes to leave the wood in the FF bucket....or lives in an environment that is not conducive to prompt drying...that would be a bad thing as it would encourage mold. But, I use a big, old bit of wood to stir every day. Have done for quite some time. A good stir, tap tap, lean against the wall on my bucket shelf and it's good to go. No muss no fuss.

As for using the whole grains in your FF - don't see any problem with that. The fermentation will help break down some of the acids and such that make whole grains a bit of a no no for significant food choice. It's one reason I love fermentation so much.
smile.png

My guess is that some people are worried that there is enough alcohol in the mash to create a reaction and most know that you don't want to use wood when making whiskey. But like we talked about earlier there isn't enough hooch in a 24 hour ferment to cause any worry. If you are making whiskey you don't want to use wooden or aluminum tools, barrels etc to make or stir your mash in/with... But when making whiskey your mash needs to sit at least 3 days, of course it depends on heat and type of yeast, sugar content etc. We just let this stuff ferment for a day and don't add sugar so there isn't enough alcohol in there to worry about.....

We just let this stuff ferment for a day and don't add sugar so there isn't enough alcohol in there to worry about.....

I dont know about the timing there. I have 2 barrels going and except for throwing in a pan or 2 of lay crumble to "feed" it every couple days the second barrel may not get used for a week. It depends onwhat else I have going on. I started my bucket last year with Braggs have given an extra shot a time or 2 but really everything is back slopped and I'm guessing local yeasts. It smells good feeds good.

I dont know about the timing there. I have 2 barrels going and except for throwing in a pan or 2 of lay crumble to "feed" it every couple days the second barrel may not get used for a week. It depends onwhat else I have going on. I started my bucket last year with Braggs have given an extra shot a time or 2 but really everything is back slopped and I'm guessing local yeasts. It smells good feeds good.

If you aren't distilling it, the chance of methanol poisoning is quite minimal.... All I'm trying to state here....

Edited to say: This will be the last time I mention anything about alcohol in this thread, Every time I do, it's the same basic result.

Last edited:
I think the issue with wood is the potential for the formation of methanol, an alcohol formed with wood breakdown, which is very very toxic.  This doesn't occur if the wood isn't soaked in something for a period of time.  This would not happen, nor would leaching of any other potentially toxic substances by simply stirring.  If you fermented your feed in a wooden barrel, then you could have an issue, but even then it might not matter depending on the type of wood.  I stir mine with a wooden spoon as well.

Prolonged contact is what could potentially be an issue with toxicity.
If you want wood oak is what's used in whiskey barrels and by a cheese making nun I just read about in Wisconsin the acidic properties of oak and fermentation actually kill bacterial bloom and this nun got a degree in micro biology so she could fight the FDA when they told her she had to use stainless steal.
She won her fight and is selling naturally fermented cheese in WI

Back
Top Bottom