fertile egg storage? HELP!!

eggsrcool

Sussex Fanatic
10 Years
May 18, 2009
England, United Kingdom
I'm getting fertile eggs tomorrow, and because I'm collecting them, does that mean they still need to rest for 24 hours before going in? If not, would an outbuilding of around 14o C be OK for storage? Thanks!

I prefer to leave mine inside on the counter until the day I put them under the chicken all together! However, as far as temp... you don't want it too hot where you leave them or they would start to develop!

I've hatched eggs I've taken out of the fridge before though... so I guess most temps don't matter.

i just go with 'room temp' whatever that is!
tongue.png

Normally I leave mine on the counter, but, I also have hatched eggs stored in the fridge for a week or longer until I have enough to set.

I have read somewhere, can't remember where...to store the eggs at 50 degrees and 45% humidity (humidity not being as important as the temps) and I have always done that before sending my eggs out to people. So far I have had pretty good luck with that.

I've been keeping mine in a bathroom that gets no sun, but a few shots of humidity when we shower. Seems to be working. I tilt the box to opposite sides a few times a day too.

Room temp is fine. Just prop up one end of the egg carton and then swap ends a couple times a day so your yokes dont stick. If you have a basement or closet where there is no sunlight, that would be perfect. If you think you need to keep them at the perfect 55F, then use a wine fridge.

I have had eggs on the counter for 10 days and hatched them out, I ended up with a 95% hatch out of them..

I really think that because I collected them, no bad handling getting them into the house and then put them in my tray. That the eggs stayed fine until I put them in the incubator. I didn't even turn the eggs at all until they were put in the incubator, I think that I would at least rock them back and forth now, but didn't do it the last time

Back
Top Bottom