FERTILITY

They don't like ... white ... pied .... silver pied .... if they have the choice .... an IB with full of colored eyes !

In all honesty I don't think color really matters. I think it's the repeated pattern or the body blends in with the train. To hypnotize the hen or make it so she doesn't notice the actual bird.

In all honesty I don't think color really matters. I think it's the repeated pattern or the body blends in with the train. To hypnotize the hen or make it so she doesn't notice the actual bird.

Most ornamental fowl can see certain colors, and one of the main items that attracts a peahen is the eyes in the train. In my personal observations I agree when it comes to penned birds but, when free ranged I have to say that the majority of my chicks over the past years have been sired by a plain jane IB rooster and the hens stay in his realm the whole season. Ive also noticed that all the hens IB, spaldings, and greens alike are more attracted to Green Roosters.

Gerald Barker

I am trying to determine.::..
When I switch males in a pen at what point can I depend on the eggs that are being laid have been fertilized by the new cock
I wouldn't switch males now, if the new males and females didn't like each other you will not get anymore fertile eggs this year.

Most ornamental fowl can see certain colors, and one of the main items that attracts a peahen is the eyes in the train. In my personal observations I agree when it comes to penned birds but, when free ranged I have to say that the majority of my chicks over the past years have been sired by a plain jane IB rooster and the hens stay in his realm the whole season. Ive also noticed that all the hens IB, spaldings, and greens alike are more attracted to Green Roosters.

Gerald Barker
The way my spalding hens look at the green peacock is priceless, even so there are 3 pens between them.

My peafowl have not started laying yet
They normally do not start until May
So that should not be a problem -

.... Ive also noticed that all the hens IB, spaldings, and greens alike are more attracted to Green Roosters.

Gerald Barker

lau.gif
Aren't we all???
love.gif

Before we know it, they'll be filming Gerald-o (or should that be Gerald-p?) episodes at your place, with battling, feather-plucking green-rooster-mad peahens, struttin' bad boys, spurring action and dramatic DNA reveals.

And here I thought pea-TV with momma and wee peachicks was mesmerizing...

I mean, there's reality pea-TV, and then there's REALITY pea-TV.
lau.gif

Them Kardashian green peas must live at YOUR house...

My peafowl have not started laying yet
They normally do not start until May
So that should not be a problem -

I would have said that last fall. Three years ago they did start May 1st, last year March 23rd, this year Jan. 28th. I am not wasting any time trying to figure out Mother Nature or the weather.

Brad Legg told me to make all my pairings in the fall so they have a while to get acquainted and accept each other.

Back
Top Bottom