Few questions for Wellsummer keepers, or people with experience.

Baxter-Shamo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
England.
First of all, I'd like to say Im new to laying Hens, So Im completely clueless right now as I only used to breed Ko Shamo and Old English game and a few other small breeds of chicken.

Anyways, Today I bought six Welsummer "pullets" and have a few questions for the experts or people who could possibly help me out on a few things.

1. I got them home today and noticed a couple of them had an odd small stubble of feather between their toes. Is this common among Wellsummers or does this mean my Wellsummers arent pure breed?

2. At what age/size should the difference between the Cocks and Hens be noticeable?

I borrowed this picture from another thread, I would put my own picture up but Its too dark right now, However, Mine are just a little smaller than this hen, Apart from that they all have the Same markings and everything, Are they for sure Pullets and not Cocks?

3.My Welsummers seem to be very Skitish, One even jumped in the river today, Luckily I recovered her. Is this normal? I thought most laying hens were tame.

Thank you!

I don't have that breed . I would lock the chickens up for a few weeks to let them no where home is. It will take time for them to get to know you. I've learned to be calm around birds they spook easily. I think you will need to post pictures for sexing them. Good Luck with the new ones.

I have no input for you, but I'm subscribing in hopes of learning something. My Welsummer also has feather sprouts between her toes, and a few sprouts going up the legs too. I got her from My Pet Chicken. I didn't get her for show so it's no big deal, but I am wondering how common this is.

I have 3 Welsummer hens (from Welp Hatchery, Iowa) and they all have the stubbly feathers between their toes. I don't know if this is common in the purebreds, but I just have them for their darker brown eggs.

The roosters are much more colorful than the hens, so if yours look like the picture you posted, yours are girls.

My Wellies are skittish and somewhat flighty as well. Not all layer breeds are "tame". Some are more docile than others. Here is a website that shows some characteristics of many different breeds and I have found this quite helpful and mostly accurate with the breeds I have.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Have fun with your chickens
smile.png

If that picture you posted it an accurate depiction of your new pullets, I'd say they're all girls. I'll post a picture of my Welsummer Roo to show you the difference. He hatched March 9th and the most mature picture I have was taken about a month ago.

About a week old

Eight weeks old

19 Weeks old

Last edited:
Cheers guys, Feel much better about keeping my Welsummers now I have a little information on them. I hope you also found the answer you needed Off-Grid.

Again guys, Thanks and lovely bird Leslie.

Back
Top Bottom