FF ratio opinions

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
I know that I will get different ideas/opinions on this but I would like some input please.

Back story: we've started using FF for our chicks and they love it! We currently do a lot because we have meat chickens as well. Our setup is currently 2-3 buckets in the garage (we were decreasing because of the hot environment) and we would just had feed, cover in water, with a couple inches on top. I used a large handheld strainer that I had for canning to strain it out. This took too long so our plan was to do the two bucket system with drilled holes. Today while straining the last of one bucket I was wondering how the holes wouldn't just clump up so I started searching posts.

So in my search I found a lot of people do equal amounts of feed and water to a thicker consistency without the extra water. Some people do the extra water and just feed that as well.

I'd love to hear pros and cons to both please!

Also ideas for covering the 5 gallon buckets to stop the damn flies??? Thanks!

Cheesecloth, linen kitchen towels, or any other light breathable fabric will keep flies out.

I don't do any draining. I mix feed with about enough water to go over it by an inch or so*, and within 24 hours the water is absorbed without excess to create a thick oatmeal consistency that I can serve straight from the container. I see no need to keep a layer of water over the feed.

* Note that the exact ratio will vary by feed and your temperatures/climate. In your hotter weather, you will probably need more water than what I'm using.

Cheesecloth, linen kitchen towels, or any other light breathable fabric will keep flies out.

I don't do any draining. I mix feed with about enough water to go over it by an inch or so*, and within 24 hours the water is absorbed without excess to create a thick oatmeal consistency that I can serve straight from the container. I see no need to keep a layer of water over the feed.

* Note that the exact ratio will vary by feed and your temperatures/climate. In your hotter weather, you will probably need more water than what I'm using.
Thank you. I saw some do equal amounts of food and water. You think the warmer climate means I should add extra?

I provide FF 1-2 times a day as a supplement rather than daily ration.
To get a lactobacilli ferment it takes me about 36-48 hours at 70-72 degrees using a little ferment from previous batch to prime. I start with a 1:1 ratio, wait a couple hours for expansion then top with water. I keep about 1/2-1 inch water and stir 2x daily making a 1 gal per batch. It is thin but
I add enough dry crumble to thicken to oatmeal consistency on ave temp days, keep it a little more liquid on hotter days.
My birds do not care for FF beyond 48 hrs so adding the dry tames it some plus adds texture, which they love. They also grt free choice dry crumble.

Thank you both! My girls seems to love it either way and eat it all upwhether I drain well or not but leaving some water in on hotter days is a great idea

Back
Top Bottom