Fight for a Warrior - For Chuck Storm (Charles Tumulak)

real_redhead

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Roanoke, VA
To all the BYC family - Calling out to all the Runners, Crossfitters, O-RUN and Tough Mudder participants. My brother-in-law, Charles Tumulak of Atlanta, GA was participating in the O-RUN in Florence, SC on March 23, 2013. This is his story:

Charles was taking part in one of his passions, obstacle races. Charles was completing the Cargo Net when he lost balance. His right foot was hooked in the net which caused his leg to catch and forced his body to turn upside down. He fell head first 15 feet to the ground below. The impact caused: a C2 sub axial fracture (broken neck), collapsed lung, facial fractures, fractured ribs and a bruised pancreas.

[FONT=andalus, serif]At 46, Charles is the picture of health. An avid runner and cross fit buff; he had completed a dream of finishing a full marathon as well as 2 other obstacle races. This was his first O-RUN but he has completed two Tough Mudders (proceeds benefit the Wounded Warrior Project). A devoted brother and uncle, Charles is known for his positivity, enthusiasm and ability to make you laugh. He was also an avid donor to the Red Cross.[/FONT]

[FONT=andalus, serif]At this time, Charles is surrounded by his family who has traveled from far and wide to come together for him. The immediate goal is to get Charles stable for a transfer to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA from McLeod Regional Medical Center in Florence, SC. He had a permanent pacemaker placed yesterday and as long as he remains stable we are hoping to get him transported by Wednesday (April 10) to the Shepherd Center, it is a rehabilitation facility for spinal cord injury patients. The doctors have said that Charles will be a quadriplegic with a breathing tube and feeding tube for the rest of his life! We hope they are wrong!!! He may never be able to speak again either. He is alert and does understand what happened, we communicate by reading his lips, which gets very frustrating at times since we are not used to reading lips! It has been very hard on the entire family since none of us live in Florence, my family lives in Roanoke, VA, one sister lives in CT and the rest of the family is in GA. We have been taking turns staying in Florence.[/FONT]

Our lives have been turned upside down since this happened 2 weeks ago. My son who is 11 finally realized the other day that his uncle Charles will never play Twisted Metal with him again. My heart broke. Please keep Charles in your thoughts and prayers. For all the amazing people in Florence, SC the support we have received from the community has been wonderful, especially since none of us live there. Having people bring us dinner and snacks to the Hospital and to provide a hotel room for us is truly unbelievable. The Florence community has taken us in and helped in so many ways we can never thank you all Please know how much we appreciate EVERYTHING!! Especially McLeod Hospital, the entire staff has been amazing!! I hate that this had to bring us together but it has and we are so very THANKFUL!!!

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
hugs.gif
I will remember you all in my prayers as well. I am so sorry that Charles has to go through this trial, and I will pray that the doctors are wrong.

Joni Eareckson Tada comes to my mind, as well as Nick Vujicic. They are both incredibly amazing people who live very inspiring lives in spite of their handicaps. Nick was born with no arms or legs, but married a gorgeous woman last February 12 and this February 13 he became a daddy to an adorable baby boy.

Thanks, Charles has done very well at the Shepherd Center. He is learning how to use the sip and puff method to control the TV and a wheelchair. The speech therapist has been working with him on cuffing the trach so he can speak. He has said a few words!! HE was also able to eat real food last week. Amazing as we thought he would never eat normally again. Granted someone has to feed him but he can eat food!! My advice to everyone is if you don't have your affairs in order such as a will, medical directive, power of attny etc. Please get it done. The family has been faced with so many challenges since Charles didn't have any of this. I know we all think nothing will ever happen to me. Well Charles is living proof you never know when something horrible can happen. THanks for all the thoughts and prayers!!

Back
Top Bottom