Filing/trimming a crossed bill

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
I didn't post this in the injuries section because it's not really an injury and it's not really an emergency, so hopefully this is OK to post here. If not I'll move it. I have this little Delaware who needs a beak trimming. I called the vet but they wanted $57 to trim... I've heard it's not too hard to do so I'm going to try it myself instead. I've been searching BYC and elsewhere online but haven't really found the right info yet that gives me confidence. I've seen people who file and people who use a Dremmel tool- based on this picture which would you guys recommend? Also what's the best way to hold her and keep her as calm as possible? And is flour really OK to use if it bleeds any? (hopefully it won't!!) I'd appreciate any other tips too- I'm REALLY nervous!! Thank you!

21925_crossbill.jpg

I saw someone on youtube doing it with nail clippers. I wish I remembered what the post was titled. But it seemed pretty easy. Good luck!

I would suggest wrapping her in a towel so she can't move around so much. I would try to hold her head still and once she is calm then try to trim it. Good luck!

I have an EE that has a funky beak, too. I use human toenail clippers on him. If I do get some blood, I just use a little pressure to stop it. I just hold him in my lap with a towl around his body, and grasp his head with my thumb on one cheek and the fingers on the other, and use my right hand to trim off a thin "slice" at a time. I have also used one of those big emery boards (like for artificial nails) with good success.

You guys are awesome!! I hadn't thought about using a towel but that would make holding her so much easier. And maybe have a slight calming effect in itself? I read Temple Grandin's book about cow butchering and she said that many animals (and people too I guess) feel calmer with some firm, gentle pressure. And the toenail clipper thought too- I'm starting to feel a little less scared of this chore!

i have one as well, i need to clip it but i'm never sure exactly how much to take off, can anyone explain that to me? She's able to eat still, but she's thinner than the rest, and i'd like to see her get a little bigger.
smile.png

Well after trimming her beak I realized the few millimeters I took off before hitting painful stuff in the beak wouldn't help her at all, so we ended up putting her down. Poor thing is better off now, she was starving and would never have a full belly in her life I imagine. This is the part I hate about having chickens. But more than sadness I felt relief for the poor little girl.

Back
Top Bottom