Finally Got my First Guinea Fowl.... Finally...

BrandoMan

Songster
May 30, 2011
Prewitt, NM USA
Hello, I have been on this site off and on for a few years now and I always wanted some Guinea Fowl. I finally gt me 10 Guinea Keets. I got me a large rabbit cage to raise them in till they get large enough for the coop. Wierd thing about them is when I had 5 in the box they were mellow and chill then went and got the other 5 the same day and together now there all are skittish. Actually scared of me so I ended up housing a young New Hampshire Red Cockeral with them and they seem to be less skittish now. They follow him around and he is being a great big brother. I feed these guys unmedicated game bird starter. Things ive noticed different from chickens is: Skittish and they eat ALOT. They sleep different too.

Welcome to the world of guineas! I have definitely found mine to be way more flighty than my chickens. Just less domestic in general. They are really interesting though and a real challenge. Do you plan on housing them with chickens as adults? Free ranging?

Hello, I have been on this site off and on for a few years now and I always wanted some Guinea Fowl. I finally gt me 10 Guinea Keets. I got me a large rabbit cage to raise them in till they get large enough for the coop. Wierd thing about them is when I had 5 in the box they were mellow and chill then went and got the other 5 the same day and together now there all are skittish. Actually scared of me so I ended up housing a young New Hampshire Red Cockeral with them and they seem to be less skittish now. They follow him around and he is being a great big brother. I feed these guys unmedicated game bird starter. Things ive noticed different from chickens is: Skittish and they eat ALOT. They sleep different too.
They are skitish because they are naturally protective and will run to bring a preditor away from there flock

Welcome to the world of guineas! I have definitely found mine to be way more flighty than my chickens. Just less domestic in general. They are really interesting though and a real challenge. Do you plan on housing them with chickens as adults? Free ranging?

Probably going to house them with chickens if they get along. If I do make a seperate coop I will probably house the young roo they with now and a hen with them just so the roo gots a girlfreind and hopefully the guinea stay with the roo and not try to fly off. I wish I could free range but we have to many rez dogs around here so they all would get ate.

Probably going to house them with chickens if they get along. If I do make a seperate coop I will probably house the young roo they with now and a hen with them just so the roo gots a girlfreind and hopefully the guinea stay with the roo and not try to fly off. I wish I could free range but we have to many rez dogs around here so they all would get ate.
I hear ya. Enjoy your birds and good luck with them!

PS. We love pics!

20200626_202635.jpg

Attachments

• 20200626_202603.jpg
    20200626_202603.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200626_202625.jpg
    20200626_202625.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 4
Cute! I like having a mixed species flock (hence the name) but my first guineas that we’re brooder with chickens and ducks are now very aggressive with them. They were awful to the roosters in particular. Now I brood the guineas away from chicks and ducks, and they get along much better with them as adults. Best of luck with your keets!

Back
Top Bottom