Finally got started on our first coop last weekend.

We had found a little time here and there to work on the coop in the last couple weeks. I have a few pictures to add. Hopefully the wind will dial down enough to get some work done today.

My husband started by adding the siding the sides of the coop. It took awhile to cut around all the doors.

Mean while, I worked on trimming and finishing the inside. Trimmed in the doors and windows with scrap wood we had laying around.

I added hardware cloth to the inside of the side breeze windows added for summer cooling.I used scraps of wood and screws to secure it. We flattened the side of an old hand railing for roosting.

Finished trimming the nesting boxes and added the hardware cloth to the side window above it.

Here is a close up of the hardware cloth.

He finished the siding on this side and has started the other side. We still need to add all the handles and latches.

This is an outside view of breeze window with the door open.

Here is a close up of the breeze window

The egg door open to the nesting boxes.

This is a little closer view of the nesting boxes.

That is all the pictures I have for now. There has been a little work done since these were taken. Hopefully I will get more posted this weekend. Thanks for taking a look and please any comments you have.

That is really coming together very very well. Congrats! It looks amazing!
smile.png

Hello again, it has been awhile, but I finally got a chance to add some more pictures. The weather has changed on us, so we won't get to paint until spring. But at least the chickens have an outdoor shelter and are out of my garage.

This is a picture of the completed pop door. We added a long handle and it slides to the side. This will allow it to be opened and closed from outside the run. Once it is in place.

This is a picture of the back access door. This will allow access to the food and water as will as for cleaning, It is setup so the floor can swept from this door and out the poop drawer hole on the end.

This is a view of the end with the poop drawer in place. I don't have pictures of the doors on this end open, but there are two. One is high and the inside is covered with hardware cloth and it will provide a cross breeze with the other side in the summer time. The lower one is larger for cleaning access when sweeping out the coop.

This is a picture of the poop drawer pulled open. We use a kitty litter scoop to clean it out every couple of days.

This is a picture of the poop drawer from the inside.

Picture of the hanging feeder.

And the hanging waterier, we didn't have the funnel on top yet in this picture. Chickens like to roost here.

For their first week we blocked access to the nesting boxes, so they would not get in the habit of sleeping there.

This is the gang on move in day, they seem to approve! :)

The 2 Rhode Island Reds are Reba and Lucy. They are 14 weeks here. The Red Sex links are Henrietta and Shelly. they were a little camera shy on this day. Too busy looking around I guess. The Red Sex link Roo is Cogburn. The Sex Links are all 16 weeks here.

The Red Sex links are the ones that started this whole journey for us. My daughter was working at an animal life exhibit at the state fair. On the last day of the fair they always auction off all the birds hatched during the fair. After everyone else was gone, a man returned to the exhibit and said he changed is mind and left a box with four chicks in it. She had no choice but to rescue them and brought them home. We obviously were not ready for them. We set them up for the night in a plastic tub, but didn't even have a light to put on them. We had a heating pad for them, but it had an auto shut off. We were very lucky, 3 of the 4 made it through the night and have been growing steady every since.

I will try to get pictures of the run posted this weekend. I hope all of your coop projects are going well. Thanks viewing.

Pretty cool!
Amazing use of pallets.

I see a couple things:

A 2x4, wide side up, is a more stable and comfortable roost especially in cold climates, chickens like their feet flat and feathers will cover feet for warmth.
Those latches are not raccoon proof, something with a loop and a carabineer or snap lock to go thru loop are much more secure.
The poop drawers will be fouled on the edges and over the edges unless you block them from using the very ends of the roosts.
Should put a latch on the poop drawer too.

What is holding the drawer up while it's open?

Watch for any condensation inside with as tight as it is built....you might want to remove the perforated soffit and cover with hardware cloth instead for more ventilation.

Hello! Thanks so much for you input.

I am sure this coop will be a continuous work in progress. My husband and I have discussed the roosts before and he has a plan for using 2x4's if it looks like there is a problem. Right now they are using the roosts, but we will probably end up swapping them out anyway.

I thought the latches I bought were on the safe list, since they were a 2 step latch and are setup so the they have to be pushed up and turned to unlatch. I will research the ones you mentioned. Thank you

I know what you are saying about the sides of the poop drawer, I wondered about that before we moved them in. It has not been bad, yet!, but this too I am sure will be a work in progress.

We are looking at adding a latch to the poop drawer, it is tight and husband didn't think it was necessary, but I think I have convinced him it is that better off safe.

There is a tight 2x4 frame around the drawer that it leveraged against while it is open.

We have talked about the ventilation and it has been fine in there so far, but that is something we are definitely monitoring as well and will modify it there are any signs of an issue.

Thanks for all the wonderful input, I appreciate it so much!

You have one very nice coop for your flock. I have tried to talk my hubby into a window that opens, but that might have to wait. It is a great thing for the flock, especially in the heat of the summer. Last Summer I propped the access door and the nest box doors open, but since the appearance of the raccoon, that will have to stop. Love your coop. It give me ideas for mine.

Welcome to the Should I buy Eggs thread!!
welcome-byc.gif

Thank You Scrambles!

The chickens really seem to be enjoying the coop and I think we have really settled in pretty well. I did place a couple bricks inside and placed the waterer on them, rather than hanging it. It was to heavy for me to hang with one hand and I was spilling water inside the coop. There fore moisture in the bedding. As long as it is up high enough and they are not kicking bedding into it, I am ok with that.

I am sure there will be modifications as we go. I still have to add pictures of the run also.

Thanks again and I am enjoying Should I buy Eggs thread.

Thank You Scrambles!

The chickens really seem to be enjoying the coop and I think we have really settled in pretty well. I did place a couple bricks inside and placed the waterer on them, rather than hanging it. It was to heavy for me to hang with one hand and I was spilling water inside the coop. There fore moisture in the bedding. As long as it is up high enough and they are not kicking bedding into it, I am ok with that.

I am sure there will be modifications as we go. I still have to add pictures of the run also.

Thanks again and I am enjoying Should I buy Eggs thread.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom