Finally!!! Red tomatoes in the garden.

We haven't gotten any tomatoes this year because of the drought we've been having. We had good ones last year though. I love eating them with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil from the garden.
droolin.gif

To die for!

Living in Central Florida means that my best growing seasons for tomatoes are planting in late August and harvesting in late November and December (or until the first frost) and then planting again in late February and harvesting in June. By July it is too hot and I cover up the garden. In June, however, I had the best crop of tomatoes and enjoyed them every day and also enjoyed tormenting Sour about my many meals of basil, moozerella and tomato.

We're drowning in tomatoes. If we get any more, I'm pretty sure I'll spend the entire winter trying to get them all canned. I'll post some pictures later to tease you all with.

This is about HALF of what we picked yesterday minus the 50# we sold. I was afraid to go look at the garden today...
I'm too sick to pick anything else!
hide.gif

And yes they are stacked as high as I can stack them. Plus more bucket fulls under the tables, on the kitchen counter....

Plus the cucumbers, egg plants, squash, zucchini, peppers of several kinds, onions, cantaloupes, ....

Get to canning Em... I'm running outta porch!

We planted three patches of tomatoes. Only one made anything, the others were planted later and was just too hot and dry.

Tomato sandwiches anyone?
big_smile.png

You're not funny, mean queen.

I spent my WHOLE day in the garden.

Sounds silly but I was watching my two tomatoes
turning "more redder".

It began to sprinkle rain...but I didn't leave the garden.
I was going to have a tomatoe...

It began to rain really really hard.
Spook began to get really really wet.
Spook was going to have a fresh tomatoe.

Spook began to wish he had brought an unbrella to
the garden.

It began to lightening.
Spook knows he is smarter than this.
Spook gets on his golf cart.

Spooks now knows somethingno one else knows.

Spooks golf cart is stuck in the mud.

A very wet Spook walked home.

Maybe Spook will have a fresh tomatoe tomorrow...

SQUIRRELS are getting all my tomato's!!! We've tried trapping them but no luck. We've hung CD's and aluminum pans and VHS tape and the garden looks like some bizarre hobo camp! I have a radio blaring ESPN by the garden thinking that human voices will keep them away. HAH!

Not sure what to try next. Thinking about trying to feed them BEFORE they get to the garden so they'll be full and leave it alone. Figure I could put out some food under their trees to keep them full.

I'm all set up to can ton's of tomato's and the squirrels are messing with me! Arggghhhh . . .
he.gif

SQUIRRELS are getting all my tomato's!!! We've tried trapping them but no luck. We've hung CD's and aluminum pans and VHS tape and the garden looks like some bizarre hobo camp! I have a radio blaring ESPN by the garden thinking that human voices will keep them away. HAH!

Not sure what to try next. Thinking about trying to feed them BEFORE they get to the garden so they'll be full and leave it alone. Figure I could put out some food under their trees to keep them full.

I'm all set up to can ton's of tomato's and the squirrels are messing with me! Arggghhhh . . .
he.gif
Squirrel & dumplings is almost as tasty as fresh tomatoes...

Might be why I never see any darn squirrels around here.
hide.gif

Sorry, I know I'm no help whatsoever.

The really sad part about that? He really eats stuff like that. I thought he was kidding...he ain't.
sickbyc.gif

Spook, Mean Queen? You should feel sorry for me! Do you know how many tomatoes we have around here? They're EVERYWHERE! I DREAM about stinkin tomatoes!
barnie.gif

Oh Great.

Now I'll worry all night about a squirrel eating my tomato...

That isn't funny, people.

I've been waiting all summer.

We planted some apple trees years ago, and the first year, one of the trees had one shiny apple, just up out of my reach. I told hubbo about it, and he said he'd get it later. Well, later, we were sitting on the front porch, and watched that red shiny apple walk by, with a grey fuzzy tail. Seems alot of the peaches have tails, too...

Back
Top Bottom