find out what breeds make up your furry fido here

99% of Panda GSDs being sold are actually mutts. It is a spontaneous mutation that appeared in ONE dog. that was supposed to never be bred. Now you see them everywhere and most of them bear little resemblance to the breed. However, they do look a lot like cattle dogs and breeds that DO come in that color pattern. Not likely to be a coincidence.

you can't give examples of poorly bred dogs (which is what most of those "rare" colors are) and use them to identify breed characteristics.

I don't see anything in that dog that points specifically to GSD. I've been researching and breeding them for 15 years.

thumbsup.gif
i was showing what color there come in

i was showing what color there come in
But don't you see, that's not the point. GSD's can come in solid black (if I recall, solid black isn't showable, but still, that's what some people think they want). In fact, I daresay that as unusual as solid black GSD's are, there are waaaaay more of them than there are fawns, simply because some people select for solid black, while the tendency is to breed away from fawn. But you might as well say, "You have a solid black dog. GSD's can come in solid black, therefore your dog must be at least part GSD. Never mind that everything else about the dog shouts "Newfoundland" (including his pedigree), he is a color that occasionally shows up on GSD's, therefore he must have some GSD in his background."

We were looking at a dog that had a slight resemblance to one breed, and a pretty marked resemblance to another breed. It is possible that she is a "Heinz 57" with a little bit of GSD somewhere in the mix, but it is also possible that she has no Shepherd in her at all, but a lot of the breed she more nearly resembles, the Malinois. IMO, the resemblance is strong enough that she might even be a purebred (if poorly bred) Malinois.

Granted, the Malinois probably wouldn't turn up in a Family Feud survey, but people who use dogs in security work are usually well acquainted with the breed. In fact, given the lighter frame and shorter coat of the Malinois, I'd think they might be better suited to working in a hot climate like Mexico than a GSD would be, and therefore more likely to be found there.

If you want to make a game of trying to guess at dog breeds in canines of unknown ancestry, hey, have fun with that. But if you want to be "good at it" (as you claim to be), maybe you should expand your knowledge base a bit more.
wink.png

But don't you see, that's not the point. GSD's can come in solid black (if I recall, solid black isn't showable, but still, that's what some people think they want). In fact, I daresay that as unusual as solid black GSD's are, there are waaaaay more of them than there are fawns, simply because some people select for solid black, while the tendency is to breed away from fawn. But you might as well say, "You have a solid black dog. GSD's can come in solid black, therefore your dog must be at least part GSD. Never mind that everything else about the dog shouts "Newfoundland" (including his pedigree), he is a color that occasionally shows up on GSD's, therefore he must have some GSD in his background."

We were looking at a dog that had a slight resemblance to one breed, and a pretty marked resemblance to another breed. It is possible that she is a "Heinz 57" with a little bit of GSD somewhere in the mix, but it is also possible that she has no Shepherd in her at all, but a lot of the breed she more nearly resembles, the Malinois. IMO, the resemblance is strong enough that she might even be a purebred (if poorly bred) Malinois.

Granted, the Malinois probably wouldn't turn up in a Family Feud survey, but people who use dogs in security work are usually well acquainted with the breed. In fact, given the lighter frame and shorter coat of the Malinois, I'd think they might be better suited to working in a hot climate like Mexico than a GSD would be, and therefore more likely to be found there.

If you want to make a game of trying to guess at dog breeds in canines of unknown ancestry, hey, have fun with that. But if you want to be "good at it" (as you claim to be), maybe you should expand your knowledge base a bit more.
wink.png
solid black is completely showable. and black GSDs are very very very common.

Fawns, however, are not as pale and washed out colors are faults in the breed.
Since the movie Max, everyone is wanting a Mal.

To the OP,
The problem with guessing breeds is that many traits are found in multiple breeds, even if they are buried in the genetics and not seen.
In fact, studies of feral dog populations have shown that, over time, the population starts looking the same - medium-sized black and dark colored dogs with pricked ears. That is regardless of what breeds may have made up the majority of the original population.

That is why even the DNA tests can give results that are so far out there. They can be fairly accurate if all the dogs in recent generations were purebred. Once you add in more generations or more dogs that are mixed, the more it becomes likely that you will get absurd results.

solid black is completely showable. and black GSDs are very very very common.
I bow to your expertise - I certainly don't claim to be an expert on any dog breed. The last time I looked up anything regarding the GSD would have been at least 40 years ago. I had a vague memory regarding something about a DQ regarding black shepherds, but perhaps it had to do with the size of the black dogs that this one breeder was producing, or something.
idunno.gif

Hi :) I have a nearly 4 month old puppy that I rescued from someone who had good intensions that went wrong. The puppy's dad blew out his hit and had to be put down when the mom was still pregnant. The mom was hit by a car and died when the pups were only 3 and a half weeks old. The person was feeding them the wrong thing and they were so sick. So, when the pups were 5 weeks old I took two home to foster. The vet was surprised that they lived long enough to get their first shots!
I adopted one, and here she is. Can you guess what two breeds are in her? This will be a tough one, even for the best. :D oh, she was right at 22 pounds at 13 weeks.

Say Hello to Cricket.

Last edited:
OK, I've already renounced any claim to expertise, so I've nothing to lose . . . . I've been thinking some sort of coonhound, perhaps a Walker? . . . . and, hmmm, Doberman?

Back
Top Bottom