find out what breeds make up your furry fido here

wink.png
That's what the shelters do too.

Yeah, looking at that broad head, I was thinking "probably pit, but let's go with the more politically correct " Boxer mix," lol.

I was worried my apartment might have an issue with it but pretty much people believe whatever I tell them. I'm slightly worried I'll have an issue when I move but I think she looks enough like other breeds to get away with it. And if all else fails, I'll pull the veterinarian card! I'm looking at renting a house though and I think they generally have less restrictions.

;)   That's what the shelters do too. 

Our AC won't even make anything they think is a pit available for adoption, and if your dog fits the description and it gets picked up wandering loose, you'll have a devil of a time getting it back. When you have so many problem owners/breeders, I guess the paranoia is justified.

It's a shame there are breed specific laws at all. I think eventually we will move away from that. I will say I'm more afraid of small yappy dogs with short faces than any pit/GSD/etc that walks in the door.

Our AC won't even make anything they think is a pit available for adoption, and if your dog fits the description and it gets picked up wandering loose, you'll have a devil of a time getting it back. When you have so many problem owners/breeders, I guess the paranoia is justified.

The majority of the dogs in our local shelters are pit or pit mix dogs but they'll list them as the mix of the breed instead of the pit side in many cases so that people will adopt them. You'll see them listed as Lab mix, Shepherd mix, Boxer mix, etc. and they are clearly predominantly pit in their genetics....guess that makes them more adoptable.

thats the most impressive mutt ive ever seen! wow there is a lot of information on these cur mutts. im learning so much! i even discovered what mutt type one of my dogs is: i just found out hes a "Treeing Cur" ;) http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/t/treeingcur.htm
Your dog looks allot like a brindle pit mix, unless you live in a rural area chances are you dont have a cur. And as one of the above posters said, they are far from mutts. People are strict on what they breed a working dog to because of their value as a hunter. She/he is very close to the picture of the breed on that site though. Coincedence?

Your dog looks allot like a brindle pit mix, unless you live in a rural area chances are you dont have a cur. And as one of the above posters said, they are far from mutts. People are strict on what they breed a working dog to because of their value as a hunter. She/he is very close to the picture of the breed on that site though. Coincedence?

there are already purebred dogs that are bred for hunting, mixing a bunch of working type breads together really doesnt make the dog any better than the pure bred working dog bred to hunt. if you want to make your hunting dog better than it already is then breed it to the same breed that has just as good of a hunt record as yours. you do that and chances are you will have a hunter better than the one you have already. its like saying a pug isnt cute enough and breeding it with a beagle to make it appeal to more people. it isnt needed. designer dogs and curs are not breeds they are just mixes or mutts and all that is resulting from all of this is more unwanted pets and strays.

Last edited:
there are already purebred dogs that are bred for hunting, mixing a bunch of working type breads together really doesnt make the dog any better than the pure bred working dog bred to hunt. if you want to make your hunting dog better than it already is then breed it to the same breed that has just as good of a hunt record as yours. you do that and chances are you will have a hunter better than the one you have already. its like saying a pug isnt cute enough and breeding it with a beagle to make it appeal to more people. it isnt needed. designer dogs and curs are not breeds they are just mixes or mutts and all that is resulting from all of this is more unwanted pets and strays.

Well....most breeds out there were developed by mixing other breeds together to form essentially a mutt with certain traits, usually for hunting a particular kind of animal or for working with domestic animals. They only became "purebred" when those mutt mixes started breeding true and were developed over many years, then someone started recognizing them as a breed and pushed for a standardization of that particularly type of dog until it could be recognized officially as a breed.

So....those purebred working dogs bred to hunt were bred by someone in the distant past from combing other types of dogs together. All dogs bred for a specific purpose are designer dogs if you study their history, though they didn't coin that phrase until here recently.

Back
Top Bottom