Fire Evacuation Advice

ravanellofarm

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
Hello, You are such a great resource. Thank you for your help so far. We have a fire in a nearby town and are crossing our fingers that it's contained soon. We have 6 3-month chickens in a coop. What should we do if we need to evacuate? We love them very much. Thanks.

Do you have a large enough dog crate to take them with you? Can they be housed elsewhere temporarily if you need to evacuate?

Are you planning to potentially evacuate with your chickens? I understand that may not be practical for any number of reasons, but evacuating with chickens could be as simple as having an extra rubbermaid container to put them in and making sure you have somewhere to go where you could have the chickens and perhaps having some extra hardware cloth to make a makeshift run once you get to where you are going.

If you aren't able to evacuate with them, the best thing you could do is to clear away vegetation from their coop in a 10-foot radius on all sides and leave them with a ton of extra water. I'm not sure it would save them if the fire really did roll through your property, but it's better than doing nothing.

Please stay safe! I know how scary wildfires can be.

Thank you so much for this. It was a scary day for us. The fire is almost out and the chickens will never know the better. I have some large rubber maids on hand and will look for a large dog kennel to be ready for next time. One of the chickens (Lily) is keeping her eye closed most of the time. Not sure if it related to smoke in the air. It looks healthy when I looked at it. Perhaps it got pecked. The flock gets very serious about roosting position at night and I hear them pushing each other off the roost. Thank you for again being a great resource!

Thank you so much for this. It was a scary day for us. The fire is almost out and the chickens will never know the better. I have some large rubber maids on hand and will look for a large dog kennel to be ready for next time. One of the chickens (Lily) is keeping her eye closed most of the time. Not sure if it related to smoke in the air. It looks healthy when I looked at it. Perhaps it got pecked. The flock gets very serious about roosting position at night and I hear them pushing each other off the roost. Thank you for again being a great resource!
I'm glad to hear that you and your chickies are safe!

Back
Top Bottom