Overwhelmed - not sure where to start with my flock issues

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Hello from TX again! I hope these questions aren’t too ridiculous - I’m paranoid after suddenly losing our favorite hen last week. We have 13 hens now, a mix of ages from six months old to 11 months old.

I have two hens that are having diarrhea. One acts otherwise normal and the other is a little more reserved than usual but still eating and drinking. Both have watery poop with a slight green color but both have what looks like bubbles in their poop. (Pics below). I have tried comparing to the charts but I feel unsure on where to start as far as if I need to do anything to assist them.

Then, I’m seeing this second type of droppings around the run. Is this cecal poop even though it isn’t as firm as many of the reference pictures? It does have a stronger smell.

Thank you for any insight or advice! We are relatively new chicken keepers and we love them but sometimes feel overwhelmed when it comes to treating illnesses etc. I appreciate the help very much!

Attachments

• IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    811.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6897.jpeg
    IMG_6897.jpeg
    978.9 KB · Views: 8
Further details that could be helpful:

Sudden loss of hen last week, first notice of illness to dead only took a few hours.

The flock eats kalmbach 17% layer feed. Very few treats other than greens and fruit occasionally.

Weather has been warmer this week (80’s)

They free range a few hours per day.

Further details that could be helpful:

Sudden loss of hen last week, first notice of illness to dead only took a few hours.

The flock eats kalmbach 17% layer feed. Very few treats other than greens and fruit occasionally.

Weather has been warmer this week (80’s)

They free range a few hours per day.
I would get them a higher protein feed.
I highly recommend this feed, and brand:
https://www.chewy.com/nutrena-natur...kNfV5Nyn2Po2bdi6QaL0cpdNEVhVwNDhoCRsYQAvD_BwE

Hello from TX again! I hope these questions aren’t too ridiculous - I’m paranoid after suddenly losing our favorite hen last week. We have 13 hens now, a mix of ages from six months old to 11 months old.

I have two hens that are having diarrhea. One acts otherwise normal and the other is a little more reserved than usual but still eating and drinking. Both have watery poop with a slight green color but both have what looks like bubbles in their poop. (Pics below). I have tried comparing to the charts but I feel unsure on where to start as far as if I need to do anything to assist them.

Then, I’m seeing this second type of droppings around the run. Is this cecal poop even though it isn’t as firm as many of the reference pictures? It does have a stronger smell.

Thank you for any insight or advice! We are relatively new chicken keepers and we love them but sometimes feel overwhelmed when it comes to treating illnesses etc. I appreciate the help very much!
However, I am unsure how to help you with this predicament..
I'm too familiar with feces identification... My flock has had both of those feces types and ended up okay. Again, I may have misidentified them.:confused:

They may be having runny droppings from drinking more water during the warmer days. Could you ask your vet if they will do a fecal float on some combined droppings to look for worm eggs or coccidiosis? My regular vet will do it if I ask. Are the 2 that are having runny poops acting any different? Are their crops emptying by early morning?

Thank you, I will ask my vet about the float test and see if they can do it. One hen with the watery droppings seems normal. The other one doesn’t seem like herself, staying more isolated.

I don’t know if this is a thing but the one that seems “depressed” was egg-mates with the chicken that died. Together since hatch and were like two peas in a pod. I could be reading into it…

Back
Top Bottom