Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

DH is a volunteer fireman and I have a family member that is a retired fire investigator. They both are adamant "Do not ever use an extension cord for anything" Although I do, I always use a cord far bigger than what I need for power. They mean in the house as well as out. Those little designer cords should be outlawed. Yesterday when we were in Tractor Supply, DH says, "What a fire hazard!" In the center of all the tanks of chicks were a dozen extension cords all over, plugged in to each other, going to the heat lamps for the chicks. My first thought was that the company was not being a very good example. I wonder how many go home and do the very same thing. I know everyone is worried about extension cords but keep in mind so many other factors can cause an electrical fire. If you blow fuses, maybe replace it once but if it happens again, there is a problem somewhere. Chicken dust is not good for us to breathe in and definitely not in a socket. I think electrical fires are the worst. They move fast. Don't be afraid, just be sensible.

DH is a volunteer fireman and I have a family member that is a retired fire investigator. They both are adamant "Do not ever use an extension cord for anything" Although I do, I always use a cord far bigger than what I need for power. They mean in the house as well as out. Those little designer cords should be outlawed. Yesterday when we were in Tractor Supply, DH says, "What a fire hazard!" In the center of all the tanks of chicks were a dozen extension cords all over, plugged in to each other, going to the heat lamps for the chicks. My first thought was that the company was not being a very good example. I wonder how many go home and do the very same thing. I know everyone is worried about extension cords but keep in mind so many other factors can cause an electrical fire. If you blow fuses, maybe replace it once but if it happens again, there is a problem somewhere. Chicken dust is not good for us to breathe in and definitely not in a socket. I think electrical fires are the worst. They move fast. Don't be afraid, just be sensible.
Sally,

Can you ask your hubby what I should heat my tack room with? What is the most fire safe heat source?

ie: Radiant heat, forced air, etc.

He'd be really helping me out here! :)

Sally,

Can you ask your hubby what I should heat my tack room with? What is the most fire safe heat source?

ie: Radiant heat, forced air, etc.

He'd be really helping me out here! :)
Sure. Give me a couple of days, I'd also like to ask my cuz, the fire investigator. I think he'd be more knowledgeable.

Sure. Give me a couple of days, I'd also like to ask my cuz, the fire investigator. I think he'd be more knowledgeable.
hugs.gif

I am trying really hard not to blame myself. I didn't know. I really didn't. If I had of known, of course I wouldn't have done it the way I did...

Almost all the pointers above I did not follow - except the heat lamps. We had the heat lamps secured.

The day it started we blew 4 fuses building a large breeding pen. That should have been our sign. If you are blowing fuses, you are using way too much power! Tone it down.

My deepest condolences.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I finally was able to contact my cousin, the fire investigator but had to leave a message. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon. Just didn't want you to think I forgot.

I think you have all the details on rebuilding a fire safe barn. My cousin, a retired fire investigator, said that he didn't have a lot of experience with barns. But he did say that cobwebs and dust was extremely flammable next to heat. (light bulbs, sparks) His biggest concern was rodents chewing wires. All wire should be in metal conduit that runs to metal switches/outlets. He said mice love to chew wire and heat tapes. Lights should be covered, the glass globes that cover the light bulbs inside a wire cage is best but not usually practical in barns. Fluorescent lights are ok, keeping the tubes in the plastic sleeves inside the cover that snaps over all of it. However, Fluorescent lights don't like the cold and if temps get too cold he suggested buying the ones with low temp ballasts. Halogen lights are a big no-no as they give off a lot of heat. And keep all of it away from any leaks. Any outlets and junction boxes should be kept free of dust. NO EXTENSION CORDS, EVER. Like I said, I've read all this on your thread already. Can't wait to watch you rebuild!

I think you have all the details on rebuilding a fire safe barn. My cousin, a retired fire investigator, said that he didn't have a lot of experience with barns. But he did say that cobwebs and dust was extremely flammable next to heat. (light bulbs, sparks) His biggest concern was rodents chewing wires. All wire should be in metal conduit that runs to metal switches/outlets. He said mice love to chew wire and heat tapes. Lights should be covered, the glass globes that cover the light bulbs inside a wire cage is best but not usually practical in barns. Fluorescent lights are ok, keeping the tubes in the plastic sleeves inside the cover that snaps over all of it. However, Fluorescent lights don't like the cold and if temps get too cold he suggested buying the ones with low temp ballasts. Halogen lights are a big no-no as they give off a lot of heat. And keep all of it away from any leaks. Any outlets and junction boxes should be kept free of dust. NO EXTENSION CORDS, EVER. Like I said, I've read all this on your thread already. Can't wait to watch you rebuild!
Good to know that we are on the right track! Thank you so much for talking with your cousin.

Did you see how many outlets we have? There is exactly 20 in there. I have one for each brooder set up.

No extension cords for us! :D

Back
Top Bottom