First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Might I ask a (probably stupid) turkey question?

What does it mean when a turkey who is normally not exactly friendly but not exactly skittish drops to the ground, puts her wings out and just hangs out like that? In that position she allows me to rub her head and her back and her wings. Unlike chickens, she doesn't "squat" or put her butt up to mate.

And then it becomes contagious:

SCG that is the turkey version of the mating squat. As Linda has pointed out on the other thread turkey mating takes a while compared to chickens and the toms are much heavier so the hens lay down. They are looking for love LOL

I thought so but I tried to rub them today to see if they were "interested" ... Evidently I didn't do it right which is why I thought it couldn't be looking for love.
lau.gif

They laid there for about 5 minutes after I was done, I guess still looking for the right one to come along.

I thought so but I tried to rub them today to see if they were "interested" ...  Evidently I didn't do it right which is why I thought it couldn't be looking for love. :lau

They laid there for about 5 minutes after I was done, I guess still looking for the right one to come along. 

Oh, that's another difference: they don't seem to appreciate the back skritches the way chickens do. My turkey hens just look at me -patiently- when I try that trick.

Gosh, sorry I wasted your time, Edna and Edith! :lol:

Maybe you need to gobble instead of whispering sweet nothings to them!  :gig

OOH! Good idea. I have a wolf whistle and an "injured mouse" one for hunting fox... I'll have to pick up a turkey one.

Wait! Wonder if they have an app for that...

I have an app with a turkey gobble! "Farm Animals" - it's free! Totally forgot about it... Used to annoy co-workers with the rooster crow. :lol: now I'm gonna go outside and harass Sarge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom