First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I had so many turkey eggs already in the reptipro.. plus the 17 I ordered from Porters.. lol..gonna be overrun with poults.. so I only set 7 of my mixed up heritage birds
ended up putting them in the bator with some quail eggs that were already cooking

I had so many turkey eggs already in the reptipro.. plus the 17 I ordered from Porters.. lol..gonna be overrun with poults.. so I only set 7 of my mixed up heritage birds
ended up putting them in the bator with some quail eggs that were already cooking

How do you manage the temperatures in the incubator with the huge difference in sizes of the eggs? Still air or forced air?

How do you manage the temperatures in the incubator with the huge difference in sizes of the eggs? Still air or forced air?

forced air.. the temp stays pretty constant throughout the bator so unlike a still air I haven't found any temperature gradients

in my reptipro there is a temperature gradient.. so it's nice for turkey eggs.. at hatch I just drop the eggs down a few levels in the bator and it works great for the cooler temp they need at hatch

I know some people use the same temperature throughout hatch and incubation for turkey eggs.. but for mine I have found they have a higher hatch rate when I drop the temp down from 99.5 (incubation temp) to 98 or 98.5 when I raise the humidity for hatch

Quote:
Porter's also recommends the decrease in temps during lockdown--glad you mentioned this as I had forgotten about that step.

My LG as small as it is, still has a temperature gradient from top to bottom. ANd a right left difference too. I placed the PC fan between the 2 windows and still the right- left difference.

I have turkey eggs of different sizes and I am concerned these will not develop evenly.

Too many factors to manage drive me nuts!! But I will try to anyways. . . .
he.gif

My last Easter Hatch-a-long duckling finally hatched, so now maybe I'll quit looking into the turkey eggs expecting movement, chirping, or pips. Let's see, if running temp a little high can cause an early hatch, cranking it up to about 350* should get them hatching tomorrow.

I have an LG w/fan also. Instead of using the turner, I think I'm going put eggs in cartons and try to adjust height by adding something under smaller eggs. Does that sound like it will work?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom